Windows Operating System comes with some preloaded drivers for legacy devices, which are useful for connecting the older legacy devices like mouses, printers, Infrared ports, etc,. to the computer. These drivers mostly used for the legacy devices, that do not have plug and play options. Few legacy devices may have executable drivers. In such case install them by using the windows installer. If the driver for your legacy device is not in the list you can install them manually. Here are the steps to install legacy drivers from the *.inf file, to configure legacy devices attached to a Windows machine. If the driver which you are going to install is unsigned you may need my tutorial on Installing Unsigned Drivers in Windows 8.
- Keep the driver ready in a drive where you can easily access them. For easy access I’m keeping the drivers in my Desktop. Check weather all the files of that driver are in that folder. Installation will end in failure if do you do any modification to the folder structure. I’m choosing the Android Mobile Driver for the demonstration.
- Make sure that the computer peripheral for which you are installing the driver is attached with the computer.
- Access your device manager. If you are don’t know, access it with any of the following steps.
- Just search in Start by typing ‘Device Manager‘
- Open Run by pressing ‘Windows key + R‘ and type ‘mmc devmgmt.msc‘
- Right click My Computer icon, from the drop-down select Manage. From that window select device Manager which is located on the left side.
- Open Control panel – Administrative tools – Computer management – Device Manager.
- In Device Manager Click your Computer name which is in the top of the Device tree. Go to Menu – Action – Add Legacy hardware. A window opens and continue the installation of driver. Check the images for details.
- When you click next it will give you two options, ‘Search for and install the hardware automatically‘ and ‘Install manually from the list‘. Select ‘Install Manually‘ and proceed further.
- Click ‘Show all devices‘ and click next. Select ‘Have disk‘ in the window that opens further.
- Click browse and locate the drivers. That is the .inf file. In my case it is ‘android_winusb.inf‘. Select the file and click open.
- It will show the list of drivers included in that driver package. Select the required driver and proceed with the installation.
- Windows may ask for your confirmation, give yes only if you trust the publisher.
It will take sometime for the installation to finish. The device will be configured once the installation is over. A restart may required for some devices to work properly. In such case restart the PC and check everything is working fine.
- Installing Windows from USB drive
- Installing Unsigned Drivers in Windows 8
- Recovering the files affected by Folder Virus