International Internet Day
- International Internet Day is celebrated on October 29 every year across the world to celebrate the usage of the internet for the first time.
- The day marks the sending of the first electronic message which was transferred from one computer to another in 1969.
- At that time the Internet was known as ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network).
- The Internet provides instant access to information.
World Psoriasis Day
- World Psoriasis Day is observed every year on October 29th to make the general public aware of the important facts related to psoriasis and this disease and its treatment.
- In the year 2022, World Psoriasis Day is being observed with the theme of “Unloading Psoriatic Disease”.
RRR won Best International Film at Saturn Awards 2022
- The ace filmmaker SS Rajamouli’s, which recently hit the screens in Japan, has won its first major international honour.
- The biggie won the ‘Best International Film’ honour at the Saturn Awards 2022, which were held in Los Angeles.
- RRR is a period drama which features Jr NTR and Ram Charan as the parallel leads.
- RRR, which grossed nearly Rs 1,200 crore at the worldwide box office, has bagged its first major international honour.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Below World Average: India’s Per Capita
At 2.4 tCO2e (tonne carbon dioxide equivalent), India’s per capita greenhouse gas emissions were far below the world average of 6.3 tCO2e in 2020, according to a new report released by the United Nations Environment Programme.
Centre approves Terai Elephant Reserve in Uttar Pradesh
- The Centre has approved the setting up of the Terai Elephant Reserve (TER) at Dudhwa-Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh.
- The Terai Elephant Reserve is the 3rd Elephant Reserve in India which is spread over 3,049 sq km.
- The Terai Elephant Reserve includes protected areas, forest areas, and corridors for the conservation of wild elephants.
- The Environment Minister Bhupendra Yadav said that the move will help conserve transboundary migratory elephant populations.
- The reserve through implementing human-elephant conflict mitigation strategies will protect the villagers living in the Indo-Nepal border area of Uttar Pradesh.
- This will also be beneficial for the two tiger reserves by managing grassland and corridor maintenance.
- The TER is the third new elephant reserve that got approval in the past three months under Project Tiger.
- The other two TER are Lemru in Chattisgarh and Agasthymalai in Tamil Nadu.
- The Project Elephant is a centrally sponsored scheme that supports Elephant conservation in India.
Garuda VII air exercise, jointly conducted by France and India
- At Air Force Station Jodhpur, the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the French Air and Space Force (FASF) are taking part in the bilateral exercise “Garuda VII” from October 26 to November 12, 2022.
- FASF is taking part in this exercise with a troop of 220 people, one A-330 Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) aircraft, and four Rafale fighter aircraft.
- This collaborative exercise will give both nations a platform to improve operational capacity and interoperability while also exchanging best practises.
- The bilateral exercise is currently in its seventh edition. At the Air Force Stations at Gwalior, Kalaikunda, and Jodhpur, respectively, the first, third, and fifth editions were held in India in 2003, 2006, and 2014, respectively.
Indian scientists develop first indigenous Overhauser Magnetometer
- OVH Magnetometers are known for their higher accuracy, higher sensitivity, and efficient power consumption.
- The Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG), an autonomous research institution under DST, has developed the Magnetometers.
- A team from IIG’s instrumentation division used various spectroscopic tools and theoretical simulations to understand the work.
- They also performed various control experiments which includes varying the sensor composition and examining the sensor’s performance.
- The examinations helped them to optimize the sensor parameters and their associated electronics.
Kerala tourism department launched a ‘women-friendly tourism’ project
- The Kerala state tourism department has launched a ‘Women-Friendly Tourism’ project to ensure safe and hygienic destinations for women.
- The all-women tour packages, which include food, accommodation, transportation and community guides, will be controlled and operated by women.
- Launching the state Responsible Tourism (RT) Mission’s initiative, Tourism Minister Mohamed Riyas said Kerala already enjoys the reputation as the safest destination for women tourists.
SIMBEX 2022 maritime exercise
- Visakhapatnam will play home to the 29th Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX).
- The two phases of SIMBEX-2022 are the Harbour Phase at Visakhapatnam and the Sea Phase in the Bay of Bengal.
- On October 25, 2022, RSS Stalwart (a Formidable Class Frigate) and RSS Vigilance (a Victory Class Corvette), two ships from the Republic of Singapore Navy, arrived at Visakhapatnam to take part in the exercise.
- Discussions about topics of mutual interest took place at the meetings.
- During the Harbour Phase, there were numerous professional and recreational exchanges between the two fleets, including cross-deck visits, SMEEs, and planning sessions.
India to Hold Mega ‘Yudh Abhyas’ Military Drill With US Near China Border
- Indian and US militaries to conduct the battalion-level “Yudh Abhyas” exercise between 15th November 2022 to 2nd December 2022.
- The Yudh Abhyas will be held at Auli in Uttarakhand which from just 100 km from the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
- The member countries of the “Quad” will conduct the Malabar exercise off Yokosuka in Japan between 8th November 2022 to 18th November 2022.
- The “Quad” member countries include India, Australia, Japan, and the US.
- The Quad has declared that it would “deter” any “coercion” in the Indo-Pacific.
- “Yudh Abhyas” will include high-altitude warfare drills.