Birth Anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai
Lala Lajpat Rai was born on 28 January, 1865 in Punjab. He was a prominent nationalist leader who played an important role in India’s struggle for freedom. He also earned the title of ‘Punjab Kesari’ or ‘the Lion of Punjab’. He initiated the foundation of the Punjab National Bank. He died on 17 November 1928, due to serious injuries. The University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences in Hisar, Haryana is named after Lala Lajpat Rai.
The government renamed Delhi’s Mughal Gardens as ‘Amrit Udyan’
- The Central government has renamed the Mughal Gardens in New Delhi’s Rashtrapati Bhavan as ‘Amrit Udyan’.
- In keeping with the theme of ‘Amrit Mahotsav’ to commemorate 75 years of India’s independence, the Union Government has renamed the Mughal Gardens as Amrit Udyan.
- On the occasion of ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’, the President of India has given a common name to Rashtrapati Bhavan Gardens as Amrit Udyan.
- Designed in 1917, the gardens spread over 15 acres are also known as the “soul of the presidential palace.
- The Mughal Gardens were designed by Edwin Lutyens in 1917, and the first saplings were planted in 1928–1929.
- The Central Government had last year renamed Delhi’s iconic Rajpath as “Kartavya Path”.
Luminous to build India’s first green solar panel factory in Uttarakhand
- Luminous Power Technologies has announced its plan to build the country’s first green energy-based solar panel manufacturing factory in Uttarakhand.
- The new manufacturing plant located in Rudrapur is expected to be fully operational by the end of 2023.
- This state-of-the-art facility will be equipped with the latest technology to design and produce high-quality solar panels that will be used for both residential and commercial applications.
- Once operational, the facility, spread across 4.5 lakh square feet/10 acres will help enable a solar production capacity of 500 MW per annum, expandable up to 1 GW, producing a range of solar panels with a power output of 40W to 600W.
- This solar panel facility is fully robotic and will use 100 percent energy from solar power, he noted.
- CEO and Managing Director of Luminous Power Technologies – Preeti Bajaj
PM Modi addressed the 1111th Avataran Mahotsav of Bhagwan Devnarayan
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has addressed the ceremony commemorating the 1111th ‘Avataran Mahotsav’ of Bhagwan Shri Devnarayan Ji in Bhilwara, Rajasthan.
- Bhagwan Shri Devnarayan Ji was born in the family of a popular Mandalji Gurjar who established the famous Mandal Lake near Bhilwara district in Mewar.
- Devnarayan was a mighty warrior who fought many battles and wars against tyrannical rulers. He was also a ruler.
- Devnarayan is worshipped as an incarnation of Vishnu by the Gujjar community as a folk deity in Rajasthan and South-Western Madhya Pradesh.
Woxsen University launched Project Aspiration in Telangana for girls
- Woxsen University has launched Project Aspiration to empower adolescent girls of standards IX-XII of Model Schools and Junior Colleges of Telangana.
- Under the Project, the school principal selected a few deserving students to participate in the ‘Train the Trainer’ workshop, which commenced in Dec 2022.
- Over 3 weeks of training sessions, the girls were exposed to different aspects of the future, developing SMART goals & learnt how to work towards achieving them.
- Professors from different schools at Woxsen briefed the students on various avenues of higher education and career opportunities. Anubha Jain, Counsellor at Woxsen University acquainted them with important concepts of mental health and counselling.
- The Project Aspiration team has organized various debates and discussed crucial social issues to open up young minds.
Canada to commercialize world’s first photonic-based Quantum Computer
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced to commercialisation of the world’s first photonic-based, fault-tolerant quantum computer.
- The investment of 40 million Canadian dollars will enable Xanadu Quantum Technologies Inc. to develop the quantum computer which will help solve complex data problems and could be used in finance, transportation, and health.
- This project of 177.8 million Canadian dollars ($142 million) is expected to create 530 new highly skilled positions in the high-tech and quantum computing fields.
- Founded in 2016, Xanadu, with the mission to build quantum computers that are useful and available to people everywhere, leads the development of PennyLane, an open-source software library for quantum computing and application development.
UN cuts India’s Economic Growth Forecast by 20 bps to 5.8% for 2023
- The United Nations (UN) has cut its GDP growth forecast for India for the calendar year 2023 to 5.8 percent, citing the effect of tighter monetary policy and weak global demand.
- Growth in India is expected to remain strong at 5.8%, albeit slightly lower than the estimated 6.4% in 2022, as higher interest rates and a global slowdown weigh on investment and exports.
- The government’s first advance estimate for growth in this financial year is 7 percent.
- The report projected India’s retail inflation to decelerate to 5.5 percent in 2023 from 7.1 percent in 2022 as global commodity prices moderate and slower currency depreciation eases imported inflation.