World Braille Day
It is observed on January 4 to honour the birth of Braille’s inventor, Louis Braille.
PM Modi to launch the world’s longest river cruise from Varanasi to Assam
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will flag off the world’s longest luxury river cruise – ‘Ganga Vilas’ – from Uttar Pradesh’s Varanasi to Dibrugarh in Assam on January 13.
- The cruise will cover 3,200 kilometres in 50 days.
- Passing through the rivers of India and Bangladesh, the cruise will be covering 27 different river systems and will stop at over 50 tourist sites, including world heritage.
Rajnath Singh inaugurated the steel arch Siyom Bridge in Arunachal Pradesh
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated the 100 metre-Siyom Bridge in the Siang district of Arunachal Pradesh. It is a state-of-the-art Class 70 steel arch superstructure bridge.
- He also inaugurated 27 other infrastructure projects in Arunachal Pradesh.
- All these projects have been prepared at a cost of Rs. 724 crore in seven border states and union territories.
China becomes the first country in Asia to launch Hydrogen powered Train
- China has become the first country in Asia and second in the world to launch Hydrogen powered urban trains.
- Germany was the first country to introduce hydrogen-powered trains in September 2022.
- The hydrogen train gets a top speed of 160 km/h, and the operational range without refuelling is 600 km.
- The German Coradia iLint serial train developed by French company Alstom has set a record 1175 Km range without refuelling.
India takes over leadership of the Asian Pacific Postal Union
- India will take over the leadership of the Asian Pacific Postal Union (APPU) having its Headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand from this month.
- Vinay Prakash Singh assumed the charge as the Secretary General of the Asian Pacific Postal Union (APPU) on 1 January 2023.
- This is the first time that an Indian is leading an international organization in the postal sector. Dr. Singh will remain in office for 4 years.
Jason Moo appointed as CEO of Bank of Singapore
- Jason Moo has been appointed as new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Bank of Singapore effective from 6 March 2023.
- Moo will replace Vincent Choo, a board member who assumed the role of interim CEO on January 1 following the retirement of ex-CEO Bahren Shaari on December 31.
Koustav Chatterjee becomes 78th Grandmaster of India
- 19-year-old Koustav Chatterjee became India’s 78th Grandmaster in MPL 59th National Senior Chess Championship in New Delhi.
- He is also the tenth GM from West Bengal.
- Koustav earned his first GM norm in October 2021 at a Grandmasters’ chess tournament in Bangladesh.
Manipur celebrated the Imoinu Eratpa festival
- The Meetei community of Manipur celebrates the Imoinu Eratpa festival every year and they regard the Imoinu goddess as a goddess of wealth and prosperity.
- As part of the celebration, people offer different dishes to the Imoinu goddess and prayers will be held.
- Moreover, the candle lighting in streets and public places as part of the celebration has also become a face of the celebration these days.
Pariksha Pe Charcha 2023
- Pariksha Pe Charcha is an annual event held every year since 2018. During the event, the Prime Minister of India interacts with students, teachers and parents from across the country, and shares valuable tips on how to take board and entrance exams in a relaxed and stress-free manner.
- As per the Ministry of Education, PM Modi’s special initiative called the 6th edition of Pariksha Pe Charcha 2023 will be held on January 27, 2023 at Talkatora Indoor Stadium, New Delhi.
1st All India Annual State Ministers Conference on Water
- The Ministry of Jal Shakti is organizing the “1st All India Annual State Ministers Conference on Water’’ with the theme “Water Vision@2047” in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh on 5th & 6th January 2023.
- The primary objective of the 2-day Conference is to gather inputs for the India@2047 and 5P vision from the different water stakeholders of the states, water being a state subject, and also to improve engagement and partnership with the states.
Jammu and Kashmir’s Doda district administration launches e-library
- e-library has launched to benefit thousands of students of the district by providing them with notes and study material prepared by the best subject matter specialists in the district in Jammu and Kashmir, the Doda district administration.
- The website called adbhutdoda.org/elibrary shall have the facility of reading, downloading and getting the notes.