International Mind-Body Wellness Day
The world of natural medicine has been around for thousands of years, with Hippocrates being credited as the father of this movement. His research and teachings were instrumental in launching the continued exploration of the way medicine is used in the world.
Rani Velunachiyar’s birth anniversary
- Rani Velunachiar was an eighteenth-century female freedom fighter from the Sivaganga region of Tamil Nadu who took up arms against the British East India Company and was born on January 3, 1730.
Savitri Bhai Phule, the first female teacher of modern India, the birth anniversary
- Determined to change the status of women in the country, Savitribai along with Jyotira opened a school for girls in Pune in 1848.
- She is India’s first woman teacher and was born on 3rd January 1831 in Naigaon, a small village in Maharashtra.
Mumbai world trade centre wins top WTCA recognition
- The MVIRDC World Trade Center, India’s first has been accorded premier accreditation from the World Trade Center’s Association (WTCA), New York “for providing and setting up the highest standards” of various kinds of business-related services.
- The iconic 53-year-old MVIRDC WTC Mumbai is situated in Cuffe Parade with the landmark twin towers and was the tallest pair of buildings in South Asia till 2009.
President inaugurates Samvidhan Udyan in Jaipur
- President Droupadi Murmu on a two-day visit to Rajasthan, inaugurated Samvidhan Udyan at Raj Bhavan in Jaipur. She will also grace the launch of a National Campaign on ‘RISE-Rising India through Spiritual Empowerment’, organized by Brahma Kumaris.
- And also inaugurate the Transmission System for Solar Energy Zones in Rajasthan and lay the foundation stone for one thousand MegaWatt Bikaner Solar Power Project virtually.
Kerala CM inaugurated Indian Library Congress in Kannur, Kerala
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has inaugurated Indian Library Congress at the Collectorate Ground in Kannur, Kerala.
- The People’s Mission for Social Development and Library Council organized the event in association with Kannur University.
- The program was presided over by Dr. V Shivdan, and Higher Education Minister Dr. R Bindu announced 100 new libraries to be dedicated to the Kannur district.
- Representatives from Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Bihar, and other states and foreign countries are participating in the Indian Library Congress.
‘SMART’ programme launched to boost R&D in Ayurveda
- The government of India has launched the ‘SMART’ (Scope for Mainstreaming Ayurveda Research in Teaching Professionals)
- Objective – To boost scientific research in priority healthcare research areas through Ayurveda colleges and hospitals.
- The SMART program has been jointly launched by the Indian System of Medicine (NCISM) and the Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS). Both Institutions come under the Union Ministry of Ayush.
- The ‘SMART’ program will have a deep long-term rejuvenating impact on research in the field of Ayurveda and it will be a great service to the nation.
Election Commission’s launched ‘Mission-929’ to take voter turnout in Tripura to over 90
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has started ‘Mission 929’ in Tripura.
- It will focus on 929 polling booths across Tripura with a target to increase the voter turnout to 92 percent in the next assembly elections.
- These booths recorded a voter turnout of less than 89 percent, which was the average across 3,328 booths in the 2018 assembly polls.
India’s unemployment rate rises to 8.30% in Dec 2022
- According to the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE), India’s unemployment rate in December 2022 increased to a 16-month high at 8.30% from 8% in November 2022.
- The urban unemployment rate increased to 10.09% in December from 8.96% in the previous month, while the rural unemployment rate slipped to 7.44% from 7.55%.
- The employment rate eased in December to 37.1%, which again is the highest since January 2022.
PM Modi inaugurated 108th Indian Science Congress
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 108th Indian Science Congress through video conferencing.
- The focal theme of this year’s ISC is “Science and Technology for Sustainable Development with Women Empowerment”.
- The first session of Congress was held in 1914.
- The 108th annual session of ISC was held at Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Maharashtra which is also celebrating its centenary this year.
- The technical sessions of the 108th Indian Science Congress have been divided into 14 sections.
Recent Inauguration by PM Modi
- PM Modi flagged off West Bengal’s first Vande Bharata Express train (7th)
- PM Modi flagged off 6th Vande Bharat train in Nagpur, Maharashtra
- PM Modi inaugurated 4th Vande Bharat Express in Himachal Pradesh
- PM Modi participated in the historic programme marking ‘Veer Bal Diwas’ in Delhi
- PM Modi addressed the 75th Amrut Mahotsav of Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul Rajkot Sansthan
Jitendra Singh inaugurated Incubation Centre at NRDC
- Union Minister for Science and Technology Jitendra Singh has inaugurated the Incubation Centre at the National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) in New Delhi to provide multi-prong support to StartUps.
- NRDC has created incubating start-ups facility and is also promoting beneficial schemes to provide support in terms of funding, mentoring, IP assistance and other allied services to the Startups.
- NRDC was established in 1953 with headquarters in Delhi.
Government starts process to buy 100 more K9-Vajras
- The Defense Ministry has initiated the process to procure 100 more K-9 Vajra self-propelled howitzers, which are made in India by Larsen & Toubro (L&T) using technology transferred from South Korean defence major Hanwha Defence.
- The K-9 Vajra is a 155 mm, 52-calibre tracked self-propelled howitzer built by L&T with technology transferred from South Korean defence major Hanwha Defence based on its K-9 Thunder.
- The 100th gun was delivered to the Army in February 2021, the contract for which was signed in May 2017.
- The contract also involved the maintenance transfer of technology to an Army base workshop to support the howitzers throughout their operational life cycle.
- The K-9 Vajra was mainly bought for use in deserts, but the standoff prompted them to be deployed in the mountains as well.