International Mountain Day
International Mountain Day is celebrated on 11 December every year to educate children and people about the role that mountains play in providing fresh water, clean energy, food, and recreation. The theme of 2021 is “Sustainable mountain tourism”.
The theme of 2022 is “Women Move Mountains”.
It is observed on 11 December by the United Nations. UNICEF stands for United Nations International Children Emergency Fund.
National Judicial Appointments Commission Bill 2022
- Marxist member Bikash Ranjan Bhattacharya introduced a bill in the Rajya Sabha to regulate the appointment of Supreme Court and High Court judges through the National Judicial Appointments Commission.
- This Bill has been introduced to regularize the procedures to be followed by the ‘National Judicial Appointments Commission’.
Tribal Amendment Bill introduced in Lok Sabha
- In order to make some changes, 4 Bills were amended for the Scheduled Tribes (ST) in 4 states and were introduced in the Lok Sabha on December 9, 2022, on the basis of adding certain communities to the Schedule of Tribes list.
- Tribal Welfare Minister Arjun Munda introduced the Tribal Amendment Bills for 4 states namely Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Chhattisgarh and Himachal Pradesh in the Lok Sabha.
- Narikkurav and Sparrow communities in Tamil Nadu
- Hatti community in Himachal
- Pinjia community in Chhattisgarh
- Beta-Krupa community in Karnataka
Advanced Fighter jets project to build by three countries
- Britain, Italy and Japan have decided to jointly develop the advanced fighter plane named as ‘Global Combat Air Programme’.
- The newly developed fighter jet will start flying in 2035 and will be designed to have better communication with drones, sophisticated sensors and technological weapons.
Mid-day meal program to be started in Kenyan schools
- A team from Kenya has visited to learn about the midday meal program in India and implement it in their country.
- The group plans to learn from the activities of Akshay Patra, an Indian non-profit organization working with the Indian Prime Minister’s Poshan Project, and implement them in schools in Africa.
- In this team members are
- Nairobi City Deputy Governor James George Musiri,
- Chief Education Officer Ruth Auver and
- High-ranking dignitaries including Joyce Kinyanjui, Director of International Relations.
7th Edition of TiE Global Summit – 2022
- TiE (The Indus Entrepreneurs), the internationally prominent nonprofit organization (NPO) devoted to the growth of entrepreneurs, will host its flagship Entrepreneurship Summit, TiE Global Summit, between 12th – 14th December 2022 in Hyderabad.
- This summit aims to develop ideas for global entrepreneurial development.
The name of the political party (TRS) was officially changed to Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) in Telangana
- The Election Commission of India has approved the name change of Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) to Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS).
- Chandrasekhar Rao started the TRS party in 2001 to fight for the creation of a separate state of Telangana from the joined Andhra Pradesh.
India’s first carbon-neutral farm is located in Kerala
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan declared the State Seed Farm at Aluva in Ernakulam district as the first carbon-neutral farm in the country.
- This declaration was given after a decade of long efforts which included totally organic agricultural activities and scientific interventions to maintain soil health on the farm.
- The state aims to achieve 40 percent of its energy needs from renewable energy sources by 2025.
27th International Film Festival to be held in Thiruvananthapuram
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the International Film Festival at Nisha Gandhi Arena in Thiruvananthapuram.
- 186 cinemas from more than 70 countries will be screened in this 8-day festival from December 9 to December 16, 2022.
Mopa International Airport to be inaugurated in Goa
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate Mopa International Airport in Goa on December 11, 2022.
- Also, the number of airports in the country was 74 when Prime Minister Modi took office in 2014, but now it has increased to 140.
PM Modi to inaugurate ICMR facility in Nagpur
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone for National Institute for One Health and inaugurate the Centre for Research, Management and Control of Haemoglobinopathies in Nagpur on December 11, 2022.
- The health ministry said that these institutes will help expedite the country’s efforts in enhancing health research to serve vulnerable populations.
Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu likely to be next Himachal CM: Congress sources
- Sukhwinder Singh Sukhu who headed the Congress campaign committee in Himachal Pradesh is likely to be the next chief minister, party sources said.
- The sources said the party high command has cleared the name of Sukhu, the 58-year-old MLA from Nadaun in Hamirpur district, for the top job.
Australia’s most prestigious Don Award 2022
- Former Australian professional tennis player Ashleigh Barty has been awarded the coveted Don Award for the second time in her career.
- After Olympic hurdler Sally Pearson and pole vaulter Steve Hooker, she became just the third athlete to win the award twice.
- The award is named after Australia’s and one of the world’s greatest cricketers ever Sir Don Bradman.