National Legal Services Day 2022
- National Legal Services Day is marked every year on 9th November to celebrate the commencement of the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987 which came into force on this very day in 1995.
- This day was established with a mandate to offer support and help to weaker sections of society including Scheduled Tribes, Scheduled Castes, women, disabled persons, natural calamities victims, and human trafficking victims.
International Week of Science and Peace 2022: 9-15 November
November 9 to November 14 is observed as the International Week of Science and Peace every year around the globe. This week is an initiative taken by the United Nations (UN), hoping to make people contribute towards the encouragement and promotion of peace across the globe.
Justice DY Chandrachud to Take Oath As New Chief Justice of India
Senior-most Supreme Court judge and Chief Justice of India-designate Dhananjaya Y Chandrachud is all set to become the 50th head of the Indian judiciary when President Draupadi Murmu would administer the oath of office to him at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Vadodara issued a first-ever municipal bond
- The bond will provide funds for infrastructure projects in Vadodara.
- The bond was oversubscribed by 10 times and was priced at a low yield of just 7.15%.
- A written case study will also be published sharing lessons learned from Vadodara’s bond issuance that will benefit other Indian cities issuing their municipal bonds in the future.
- Municipal finance can help to pay for vital capital projects including roads, energy, water, sanitation, and other essentials.
- Municipal finance also represents a form of empowerment. As cities start to finance their own projects, municipal officials are called upon to be good financial stewards, who make the best possible use of funding to achieve the best possible results for those they represent.
DRDO launches testing, and evaluation facility for sonar systems of Indian Navy
- The SPACE facility is based on the concept design and requirements projected by NPOL and has been constructed by M/s L&T Shipbuilding, Chennai.
- It will be mainly utilized for evaluating Sonar systems, allowing for quick deployment and easy recovery of scientific packages such as sensors and transducers.
- The SPACE is a one-of-a-kind facility in the world. The uniqueness of this facility lies in the specially designed submersible platform, which can be lowered up to depths of 100 meters using a series of synchronously operated winches.
- The design and construction of the platform meet all the statutory needs of the Indian Register of Shipping and the vessel classifying authority.
SBI commits to finance 1000 entrepreneurs in Nagaland
- An MoU has been signed between the two parties to facilitate ease of doing business and finance MSMEs of Naga entrepreneurs in the state, reported Eastern Mirror.
- The NIIE trade fair culminated positive impact with huge promise and commitment to finance 1000 entrepreneurs through the iconic signing of an MOU between SBI and BAN, which will bring hope and huge respite to the genuine entrepreneurs of the state.
- BAN will facilitate the identification, and preparation of MSME through project screening, documentation, and submission to SBI.
- Once the loan is finally sanctioned, the association will be responsible for providing training on bookkeeping, GST filing, statutory compliances, etc
Kerala becomes 1st State to Introduce Uniform Gold Price Based on Bank Rate
- Being a top gold-consuming state in the country, Kerala can set the stage for a countrywide roll-out of uniform gold prices.
- The selling price of gold should be unified everywhere in the country. The gold rate should be uniform across the country based on the bank rates.
- Gold is priced at Rs 150-300 per gram extra over the bank rate. In Kerala, gold used to be sold at different prices on a particular day.
- Uniform gold price based on bank rate offers an opportunity for consumers to purchase gold at a reasonable and transparent price.
- Bank rates on gold, GST, and other taxes including import duty are the same across India.
Modi unveils logo, theme and website of India’s G20 presidency
- India will be taking over as president of the G20 next month in a “significant step” in the evolution of the country’s foreign policy with the vision of the prime minister to “undertake leadership roles on the global stage”.
- The G20 presidency offers a unique opportunity for India to contribute to the global agenda on pressing issues of international importance.
- The logo, theme, and website of our G20 presidency would reflect India’s message and overarching priorities to the world. During the course of its G20 Presidency, India will be holding about 200 meetings in 32 different sectors in multiple locations across India.
Indian Navy participates Malabar Naval Exercise in Japan
- The presence of these indigenously built ships of the Indian Navy at these multi-national events will be an opportunity to showcase the ship-building capabilities of Indian Shipyards.
- The MALABAR exercise was initiated in 1992 between the navies of India and the United States.
- The International Fleet Review will be reviewed by Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and will see the participation of 40 ships and submarines from 13 countries.
- The warships will also be deployed in the four-nation Malabar exercise scheduled to take place on 8th November.
- It started as a bilateral drill between the Indian Navy and the US Navy in the Indian Ocean. Japan became a permanent member of the exercise in 2015.
IT-gaints Google launches ‘FloodHub’, a platform to forecast flood
- Google launched its flood forecasting services to safeguard people against disasters and natural calamities in 2018. Google states that the company has used an AI technique called transfer learning to make it work in areas where there is less data available.
- Meanwhile, the search engine has also integrated its Lens image recognition feature into many of its other features. It includes Google Chrome and Photos.
- Recently, 9to5Google has pointed out that Google is adding a Lens button to its home page, in its search bar. After users click on the Lens button, they would be prompted to upload an image or paste a URL to one.