“Permacrisis” Is Collins Dictionary’s Word Of The Year
- Permacrisis has been chosen as the Collins Dictionary’s word of the year.
- The word means an extended period of instability and insecurity.
- Permacrisis sums up just how truly awful 2022 has been for so many people
- The new decade is just two years old and has seen already seen one unprecedented upheaval after another in the form of the continuing pandemic, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, extreme weather events, global inflation, energy shortages, and the rising cost of living and political crisis in the United Kingdom
A Third of Glaciers in Word Heritage Sites will Disappear in 2050
- A survey of 18,600 glaciers at 50 World Heritage Sites found that the glaciers at one-third of these sites will perish because of global warming regardless of the global efforts towards limiting the temperature rise.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) warned that several world heritage sites may become glacier-free by 2050.
- According to the report, all of Africa’s World Heritage Sites, including Mount Kenya and Kilimanjaro National Park, will become ice-free in three decades.
- In Europe, some of glaciers of Pyrenees and Dolomites will also disappear. This holds true for glaciers in Yosemite and Yellowstone national parks in America.
- These glaciers have been depleting at a high rate since the year 2000 because of carbon emissions.
Meghalaya CM launches “Citizen Engagement and Communication Programme”
- The “Citizen Engagement and Communication Programme” was launched by Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma at Tura, West Garo Hills district, in Meghalaya.
- The Meghalaya Government has initiated various welfare programs and the information should be disseminated for the larger benefit of the public.
7 Indian states & 2 UTs celebrated their formation day
- On November 1st, Seven of the 28 Indian states and two Union Territories observed their formation day.
- The states of Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh and Punjab besides the Union Territories of Lakshadweep and Puducherry were formed on this day, though in different years.
- Besides 28 states, India has eight Union Territories.
Ministry of Education Releases Report on Performance Grading Index(PGI) for States/UTs
The Ministry of Education released the Performance Grading Index (PGI) for 2020-21, an evidence-based comprehensive analysis of the school education system across states and Union Territories.
DRDO conducts successful maiden flight-test
- Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted a successful maiden flight test of Phase-II Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) interceptor AD-1 missile with a large kill altitude bracket from APJ Abdul Kalam Island off the coast of Odisha on November 02, 2022.
- The ministry stated that the flight test was carried out with the participation of all BMD weapon system elements located at different geographical locations.
Hollongi Greenfield Airport to be called ‘Donyi Polo’ Airport
- The Union Cabinet has approved the naming of the new Greenfield Airport at Hollongi, Itanagar, the State Capital of Arunachal Pradesh as “Donyi Polo Airport, Itanagar”.
- In January 2019, the Government of India had given its “in-principle” approval for the construction of the Hollongi Greenfield Airport.
- The airport is being developed by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) with assistance from the Central Government and the State Government of Arunachal Pradesh.
Goa hosts Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation Asia Pacific Conference
Goa to host three days Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation (CANSO) Conference from 1st to 3rd November 2022. In these three days, delegates and exhibitors from the Asia Pacific region and beyond will discuss and collaborate on the key issues that will help shape the future of Asia’s aviation industry.
Indian Exim Bank Inks Pact With Southern Africa’s Leading Bank
- Export-Import Bank of India (India Exim Bank) has concluded a Master Risk Participation Agreement for supporting trade transactions with FirstRand Bank (FRB) Limited.
- The agreement was signed in Johannesburg on the sidelines of the India – Southern Africa Regional Conclave.
Sharjah International Book Fair Fall inaugurated at the Expo Centre
- Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, Dr Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi has opened, the 41st edition of the Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF), which is taking place from November 2 to13 at the Expo Centre Sharjah, according to the Emirates News Agency (WAM).
- Sheikh Sultan bin Ahmed bin Sultan Al Qasimi, Deputy Ruler of Sharjah, was also present at the inauguration of the event, which is organized by the Sharjah Book Authority, under the theme ‘Spread the Word.’
University Grants Commission proposed ‘Bharatiya Bhasha Diwas’
- The University Grants Commission has written to vice-chancellors and principals of all universities and colleges in this regard following recommendations of a committee constituted last year by the education ministry to promote Indian languages.
- All higher education institutions in India must observe a ‘Bharatiya Bhasha Divas’ on December 11 every year to create “language harmony” and develop a conducive environment for learning Indian languages.
Citizenship to Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh minorities in Gujarat
- The Ministry of Home Affairs’ notification grants citizenship to Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan living in Anand and Mehsana districts in Gujarat.
- This order empowers district collectors to grant citizenship to these minorities under Citizenship Act, 1955.