Indian Army Celebrates 76th Infantry Day
- Indian Army Infantry Day is celebrated on October 27 every year to pay homage to the soldiers who fought for the country and laid down their lives in the line of duty.
- To celebrate the 76th Infantry Day this year on October 27, soldiers are organising four simultaneous bike rallies from all cardinal directions, Wellington (Tamil Nadu), Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir), Shillong (Meghalaya), and Ahmedabad (Gujarat).
- The rally started on October 16 and will cover the travel across the country, culminating at the National War Memorial on Infantry Day.
Ladakh MP launched “Main Bhi Subhash” campaign
- Ladakh MP Jamyang Tsering Namgyal launched the ‘Main Bhi Subhash’ campaign from Leh.
- The ‘Main Bhi Subhash’ campaign is a series of events which is organized by the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose INA Trust in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture.
- Mr. Namgyal inaugurated an exhibition on Netaji at Boys Higher Secondary school in Leh.
- The ‘Main Bhi Subhash’ campaign aims to create awareness of Netaji’s contribution to the freedom fight.
- The On Road Exhibition Vehicle on Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose reached Kargil.
- The Exhibition ‘Main Bhi Subhash’ was held at the Government Polytechnic College Kargil and Tata Mobile Stand Kargil.
- It is an initiative of the INA Trust and Ministry of Culture.
Putin Repeats Unsupported ‘Dirty Bomb’ Claim
- The Kremlin repeated its claim that Ukraine plans to use a radioactive “dirty bomb”, warning the West it was dangerous to dismiss Moscow’s position.
- Ukraine, the United States, Britain and France have all rejected Moscow’s claims – voiced by several officials in recent days – that Kyiv could be preparing to detonate a radioactive device in Ukraine.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh spoke to his Russian counterpart Sergei Shoigu and expressed concerns over the alleged threat of the use of ‘dirty bombs’ in the ongoing war with Ukraine.
- Shoigu said he was “concerned about possible provocations by Kyiv involving the use of a dirty bomb”.
- Rajnath Singh reiterated India’s position that both Russia and Ukraine should pursue diplomacy and dialogue to resolve the conflict at the earliest.
- He told Shoigu that nuclear war should be avoided at all costs as the use of such weapons is against the basic tenets of humanity.
Article for India Stand
World Day for Audiovisual Heritage
- World Day for Audiovisual Heritage (WDAH) is celebrated on October 27 every year to highlight and promote the importance of such preservation.
- Audiovisual heritage refers to documents like film, sounds, radio, television programmes and other audio and video that are of socio-cultural importance and need preservation for posterity.
- Such documentations help us observe and understand the past, and protects our memories and culture.
‘World’s dirtiest man’ Amou Haji dies in Iran
- Amou Haji, an Iranian man dubbed the “dirtiest man in the world, “ died at the age of 94 in the village of Dejgah, in the southern province of Fars.
- He was so-called because he had not washed for almost 70 years and he believed that staying dirty kept him alive for so long.
- Owing to his unique record, a short documentary titled ‘The Strange Life of Amou Haji’ was made in 2013, describing his life.
Western Air Command won Air Force Lawn Tennis Championship
- Western Air Command, Indian Air Force (IAF) won the Air Force Lawn Tennis Championship 2022-23 held at Head Quarter MC, Vayu Sena Nagar, Nagpur.
- The final match of the team Championship was played between Western Air Command and Training Command in which Western Air Command emerged as the winner.
- The final of the open singles was played between Corporal Pradeep of Training Command and Sergeant Manolin of Western Air Command and Corporal Pradeep emerged as the winner.
Also Read the Article IAF
Apple Announces New Clean Energy Investments
- APPLE said it would make fresh investments to set up solar and wind projects in Europe and called on its suppliers to decarbonise operations related to the production of iPhones and other products.
- The company in 2020 had pledged to remove carbon emissions from its entire business, including products and its sprawling supply chain – which spans from Vietnam to Brazil – by 2030.
FIPRESCI declared ‘Pather Panchali’ as best Indian movie
- Legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray’s feature “Pather Panchali” has been declared the best Indian film of all time by the International Federation of Film Critics (FIPRESCI).
- The 1955 film has received the number one slot in the top ten films in the history of Indian cinema list, which was declared after a poll conducted by the India chapter of FIPRESCI.
Property tax amnesty scheme SAMRIDDHI
- Delhi Lieutenant Governor Vinai Kumar Saxena has launched a one-time property tax amnesty scheme “SAMRIDDHI 2022-23”, which will provide a major relief to lakhs of residential and commercial property owners in the city.
- SAMRIDDHI, an acronym for Strengthening and Augmentation of Municipal Revenue for Infrastructure Development in Delhi, will start on October 26 and end on March 31, 2023, with no further extensions.
- Those who opt to participate in the SAMRIDDHI scheme will have to pay only the principal amounts for the current financial year, and 2017-18 to 2021-22 (residential units) or 2016-17 to 2021-22 (commercial units), following which 100% of the interest and penalty on the outstanding tax amount will be exempted and all dues prior to 2016-17 will be waived off.
- The amnesty scheme will also cover cases involving dishonoured cheques, including cases where the bank account and property have been attached, as well as those cases pending under litigation in courts. The MCD clarified that cases, where the principal, interest and penalty has already been paid before the launch of the scheme, will not be reassessed and reopened.
GoI appoints Sangeeta Verma as acting chairperson of CCI
- The government of India appointed Sangeeta Verma as the acting chairperson of the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- The appointment follows full-time Chairperson Ashok Kumar Gupta demitting office.
- Verma is currently a member at the regulator. Her appointment will be effective for a “period of three months or till the appointment of regular Chairperson or till any further orders.