- Grandfather’s Day, celebrated on January 22 in Poland is dedicated to the wisest, humblest, jolliest man in our lives.
- Being a grandparent is fun; the restrictions and strictness that come with parenting are relaxed, and after a certain age, a childlike wonder sets in, which is why grandparents and children bond so well.
- The values instilled in us by our grandparents shape us for the better, which is exactly why people in Poland feel so grateful towards their grandfathers and grandparents.
Odisha CM inaugurated ‘International Craft Summit’
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has inaugurated an ‘International Craft Summit’ in Jajpur, Odisha.
- This first-of-its-kind craft summit features pioneering craftspeople, culture, and art enthusiasts.
- International delegates from 15 countries have arrived in Jajpur to engage with local artisans and other stakeholders.
- Four UN agencies and five UNESCO Creative Cities have partnered with the District to realize this ambitious and forward-looking event on behalf of the State Government.
Global Fire Power Index 2023: India ranked 4th; topped by the US
- Global Firepower Index is a rating of the military forces of all countries on the planet. The Index ranks the countries based on their potential military strength.
- India is ranked fourth in the index. The Global Firepower Index ranked 145 countries.
- The most powerful country in the world is the United States of America, followed by Russia, China, and India.
- Turkey has once again emerged as the most powerful country in the Middle East and North African region. Turkey has been placed at the 11th position in the global ranking.
- Egypt is ranked 14th and Iran is ranked 17th in the global ranking. Egypt is ranked as the most powerful Arab country in terms of its military power.
- Saudi Arabia emerged as the most powerful country among the Gulf Cooperation Council countries and Saudi Arabia has the second most powerful military among the Arab countries. It is placed at the 22nd position in the global ranking.
- Algeria is the most powerful of the North African countries, ranking 26th on the global index. While Lebanon has been described as the weakest country in the Middle East.
- Top 10 Countries on Global Power Index 2023
- United Kingdom
- South Korea
- Henley Passport Index 2023: India ranked 85th; topped by Japan
- List of best Cuisines of the World by Taste Atlas – India ranked 5th; topped by Italy
- Social Progress Index 2022: Puducherry best-performing States; Jharkhand and Bihar scored the lowest
- Global Food Security Index (GFSI) 2022: India ranked 68th; topped by Finland
- Global ranking in scientific publications paper – India ranked 3rd, topped by China
Pakistan is South Asia’s weakest economy: World Bank report
- World Bank forecast Pakistan’s economic growth to slow further to two percent during 2023.
- This will mark a drop of two percentage points from its June 2022 estimates, according to the World Bank’s Global Economic Prospects report.
- The reason behind this is unprecedented floods, depleting forex reserves, food shortages, and poverty.
- It forecast Pakistan’s GDP growth rate to improve to 3.2% in 2024, which would be lower than earlier estimate of 4.2%.
About World Bank
- Founded – 1944
- Headquarters – Washington Dc
- President – David Malpass
- MD & CFO – Anshula Kant
- Chief Economist – Carman Reinhart
- Executive Director – Rajesh Khullar
- Member Countries -189
- World Bank Group – 5 (IBRD, IDA, IFC, MIGA and ICSID)
Brand Guardianship Index 2023: Mukesh Ambani No1 among Indians
- Reliance Industries Chairman and Managing Director Mukesh Ambani has been ranked second globally and top among Indians in Brand Guardianship Index 2023, compiled by Brand Finance.
- The Brand Guardianship Index is a global recognition of CEOs, who are building business value in a sustainable manner, by balancing the needs of all stakeholders – employees, investors, and the wider society.
- The Brand Guardianship Index 2023 saw the rise of Nvidia CEO, Jensen Huang, and Mukesh Ambani of Reliance to 1st and 2nd position, respectively. They both now rank above last year’s leader Microsoft’s Satya Nadella, who now sits in the 3rd place.
- He is also the 9th richest person in the world, as per the Bloomberg Billionaire Index.
Goa Manohar International Airport wins Best Sustainable Greenfield Airport Award
- A subsidiary of GMR Airports Infrastructure, GMR Goa International Airport (GGIAL) has won the ‘Best Sustainable Greenfield Airport’ award under aviation sustainability and environment at ASSOCHAM’s 14th International Conference-cum-Awards for Civil Aviation 2023.
- The award was presented for “outstanding initiatives” taken by Goa International Airport Limited (GGIAL) in implementing sustainability.
- The criteria of awards are contribution, innovativeness, applicability, relevance and impact potential in their respective areas.
IIT Madras developed Indigenous Mobile Operating System ‘BharOS’
- IIT Madras incubated firm has developed an Indigenous Mobile Operating System named ‘BharOS’.
- The OS is claimed to be a significant contribution towards ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ and is said to offer a secure environment for users.
- BharOS has been developed by JandK Operations Private Limited (JandKops) – a non-profit organization established by IIT Madras Pravartak Technologies Foundation.
- The Foundation is funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, under its National Mission on Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (NMICPS).
- BharOS provides access to trusted apps from organization-specific Private App Store Services (PASS). A PASS provides access to a curated list of apps that have been thoroughly screened and have met certain security and privacy standards of organizations.
Hashim Amla announced their retirement from all forms of cricket
- South Africa cricketer Hashim Amla has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- He last played for Surrey in the County Championship 2022 and helped them win the title as well.
- The right-handed batter had already retired from international cricket after the World Cup in 2019.
- Hashim Amla, South Africa’s second-highest Test run-scorer of all time.