World Mental Health Day 2022
- World Mental Health Day is observed on October 10 every year. On this day, various programs are designed to draw attention to mental health issues and their effects on those affected and the lives of their caregivers.
- The theme or rather the slogan for 2022’s celebration of World Mental health Day is “Make mental health & well-being for all a global priority.”
- In India, World Mental Health Day is marked on the final day of the Mental Health Awareness Campaign Week campaign, launched last year by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Mulayam Singh Yadav Passes Away
- Mulayam Singh Yadav, the Samajwadi Party (SP) founder and former chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, passed away on October 10 at a Gurugram private hospital.
- Mulayam Singh Yadav, 82, was receiving treatment for multiple medical conditions.
- Akhilesh Yadav, who is currently in charge of the SP and was previously the chief minister of UP, is Yadav’s successor.
- Mulayam Singh Yadav is also referred to as “Netaji” by his supporters and fellow party members.
- The SP founder’s first wife, Malti Devi, passed away in 2003, leaving behind Akhilesh.
Nobel Prize for Economics 2022
- US Trio of Ben S. Bernanke, Douglas W. Diamond, and Philip H. Dybvig received the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences 2022 (Nobel Prize for Economics 2022) in Memory of Alfred Nobel “for research on banking and financial crises.”
- The prize money for the Nobel Prize for Economics 2022 total 10 million Swedish kronor, or roughly $900,000.
IREDA celebrates “Cyber Jaagrukta Diwas”
- To create cybersecurity awareness among all employees, Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd. (IREDA) observed the “Cyber Jaagrukta Diwas”.
- On this occasion, Shri Alok Kumar, Information Security Consultant, AKS IT Services, shared his insights with IREDA employees on the practice of cyber hygiene.
Pankaj Advani wins his record 25th World title in Kuala Lumpur
- Indian cueist, Pankaj Advani defended his World Billiards Championships (150-up) title for the 5th time, beating compatriot Sourav Kothari in the best-of-7 frames final at the High End Snooker Club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for a record 25th title at the global level.
- Pankaj’s last world title came over 12 months ago in Qatar where he won the IBSF Six-Red Snooker World Cup.
RBI Launches Concept Note To Create Awareness
- The Reserve Bank Of India(RBI) has released a concept note on the Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC).
- The CBDC is a digital form of currency notes issued by a central bank.
- While most central banks across the globe are exploring the issuance of CBDC, the key motivations for its issuance are specific to each country’s unique requirements.
- This Concept Note explains the objectives, choices, benefits and risks of issuing a CBDC in India, referred to as e-₹ (digital Rupee).
- The e-₹ will provide an additional option to the currently available forms of money.
- Concept Note is to create awareness about CBDCs in general and the planned features of the digital Rupee.
- To create a digital Rupee that is as close as possible to a paper currency and to manage the process of introducing digital Rupee in a seamless manner.
- Central bank digital currencies are digital tokens, similar to cryptocurrency, issued by a central bank.
- A central bank digital currency is the digital form of a country’s fiat currency.
- A CBDC is issued and regulated by a nation’s monetary authority or central bank.
- CBDCs promote financial inclusion and simplify the implementation of monetary and fiscal policy.
- As a centralized form of currency, they may not anonymize transactions as some cryptocurrencies do.
- Many countries are exploring how CBDCs will affect their economies, existing financial networks, and stability.
ISRO’s Chandrayaan-2: sodium on the moon for first time
- Chandrayaan-2 Orbiter’s X-ray spectrometer ‘CLASS’ has mapped an abundance of sodium on the moon for the first time, as per the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- As Chandrayaan-1’s X-ray Fluorescence Spectrometer (C1XS) detected sodium from its characteristic line in X-rays, this opened up the possibility of mapping the amount of sodium on the Moon.
- Built at the U R Rao Satellite Centre of ISRO in Bengaluru, CLASS provides clean signatures of the sodium line thanks to its high sensitivity and performance,”.
“Education 4.0 Report” 2022, released by the World Economic Forum (WEF)
- Titled Education 4.0 Report’, the report explains how technology can address learning gaps and make education accessible to all.
- Covid-19 pandemic has subsided in most parts of the world, the school-to-work transition process is still facing significant hurdles in India, a World Economic Forum (WEF) report stated.
- India is the second largest market for online education after the US.
- National Education Policy 2020 and over 5000 EdTech start-ups across the learning lifecycle.
- India has more than 60 million secondary and higher secondary students, but 85 per cent of schools are yet to implement vocational courses as part of their curriculum.
- “Employers expect students to have a high degree of competencies, skills and knowledge relevant to their work.
Novak Djokovic wins Astana Open, takes 90th Career Title
Stefanos Tsitsipas in the ATP final in Astana Open, Novak Djokovic won his 90th career championship and fourth in 2022. In 75 minutes, the 35-year-old Novak Djokovic prevailed 6-3, 6-4 to add this trophy to those he has already won this year in Israel, Rome, and Wimbledon.
Indian Cricketer Smriti Mandhana unveiled as Gulf Oil India ambassador
- Indian cricket star Smriti Mandhana has signed on as a brand ambassador of lubricant manufacturer Gulf Oil India.
- India women’s vice-captain joins current men’s cricket ace Hardik Pandya and former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni as an ambassador for the company.
- Through the partnership, Gulf Oil stated that it aims to ‘celebrate women power’ and ‘inspire female audience in the country’, while also honouring the achievements of Indian women cricketers.