About Nobel Prize
• The Nobel Prize was established in 1895 by the will of Swedish scientist Alfred Nobel. The award is named after Alfred Nobel, who was famous for the discovery of dynamite.
• The Nobel Prize is awarded “to those who, in the preceding year, have conferred the greatest benefit to mankind.”
• Nobel Prizes were first awarded in 1901.
• The prize in economic science was started in 1969.
• The award was suspended from 1940 to 1942 for World War II.
• Although the Nobel Prize is not awarded posthumously, the prize is presented if a person is awarded the prize and dies before receiving it.
Nobel prizes are given in how many fields?
• According to Alfred Nobel’s will of 1895, the Nobel Prize is awarded in five separate fields are Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Peace.
• In 1968, Sveriges Riksbank (Sweden’s central bank) funded the establishment of a prize in economic science in memory of Alfred Nobel.
• The award ceremony is held every year, in which each Nobel laureate receives a gold medal, a diploma, and some money from the Nobel Foundation.
• In 2021, the Nobel Prize monetary award is 10,000,000 Swedish krona (SEK). (74595201.67 Indian Rupees, as of 2022)
• Amount received cannot be shared among more than three persons. However, the Nobel Peace Prize may be awarded to more than three persons of an organization.
Nobel Prize 2022 full list of winners
Nobel Prize in Physics 2022
- Alain Aspect
- John F. Clauser
- Anton Zeilinger
“for experiments with entangled photons, establishing the violation of Bell inequalities and pioneering quantum information science”.
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2022
- Svante Pääbo
“for his discoveries concerning the genomes of extinct hominins and human evolution”
Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2022
- Carolyn R. Bertozzi
- Morten Meldal
- K. Barry Sharpless
“for the development of click chemistry (in which molecular building blocks snap together quickly and efficiently) and bioorthogonal chemistry”.
Nobel Prize in Literature 2022
- French author Annie Ernaux
“Literary Works for the courage and clinical acuity with which she uncovers the roots, estrangements and collective restraints of personal memory”.
Nobel Peace Prize 2022
• Human rights advocate Ales Bialiatski (Belarus)
• Russian human rights organisation Memorial
• Ukrainian human rights organisation Center for Civil Liberties
Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences 2022
- Ben S. Bernanke,
- Douglas W. Diamond
- Philip H. Dybvig
“Contributions for research on banks and financial crises”.
Last Five Years Nobel Prize Winners
List of Nobel Prize Winners from 2017
- Physics: S. Manabe, K. Hasselmann, G. Parisi.
- Chemistry: B. List, D. MacMillan
- Medicine: D. Julius, A. Patapoutian
- Literature: A. Gurnah
- Peace: M. Ressa, D. Muratov
- Economic Sciences: D. Card, J. Angrist, G. Imbens
- Physics: R. Penrose, R. Genzel, A. Ghez
- Chemistry: E. Charpentier, J. Doudna
- Medicine: H. Alter, M. Houghton, and C. Rice
- Literature: L. Gluck
- Peace: World Food Programme (WFP)
- Economic Sciences: P. Milgrom and R. Wilson
- Physics: J. Peebles, M. Mayor, and D. Queloz
- Chemistry: J. Goodenough, M. Whittingham, and A. Yoshino
- Medicine: W. Kaelin Jr, Sir P. Ratcliffe, and G. Semenza
- Literature: P. Handke
- Peace: A. Ahmed Ali
- Economic Sciences: A. Banerjee, E. Duflo and M. Kremer
- Physics: A. Ashkin, G. Mourou, and D. Strickland
- Chemistry: F. Arnold, G. Smith, and Sir G. Winter
- Medicine 2018: J. Allison and T. Honjo
- Literature: O. Tokarczuk
- Peace: D. Mukwege and N. Murad
- Economic Sciences: W. Nordhaus, P. Romer
- Physics: R. Weiss, B. Barish, and K. Thorne
- Chemistry: J. Dubochet, J. Frank and R. Henderson
- Medicine: J. Hall, M. Rosbash and M. Young
- Literature : K. Ishiguro
- Peace: International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN)
- Economic Sciences: R. Thaler
Nobel Prize winners from India
- Physiology or Medicine – Ronald Ross-1902
- Literature-Rudyard Kipling-1907
- Literature-Rabindranath Tagore-1913
- Physics-Chandrasekhara Venkata (C.V) Raman-1930
- Peace-Mother Teresa-1979
- Economics-Amartya Sen-1998
- Peace-Kailash Satyarthi-2014
- Physiology or Medicine-Har Gobind Khorana-1968
- Physics-Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar-1983
- Chemistry-Venki Ramakrishnan-2009
- Economics-Abhijit Banerjee-2019