National Coaches Day
parents and teachers play a defining role in shaping a young person’s life. But let’s not forget about the coaches.
UNESCO publishes a list of 50 exclusive Indian heritage textile crafts
UNESCO has released a list of 50 exclusive and iconic heritage textile crafts of the country. Toda embroidery and Sungadi from Tamil Nadu, Himroo weaves from Hyderabad and Bandha tie and dye weaving from Sambalpur in Odisha were some of the textiles that made the cut.
Nobel literature prize 2022 awarded to French author Annie Ernaux
The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2022 is awarded to the French author Annie Ernaux “for the courage and clinical acuity with which she uncovers the roots, estrangements and collective restraints of personal memory” at the Swedish Academy in Stockholm. The writer is known for works that blur the line between memoir and fiction.
Alphabet Inc’s Google to build its first cloud region in Greece
Alphabet Inc’s Google will set up its first cloud region in Greece, the company, giving a boost to the country’s efforts to become a world cloud computing hub. The deal is estimated to contribute some 2.2 billion euros ($2.13 billion) to Greece’s economic output and create some 20,000 jobs by 2030.
- Since taking office in 2019, Mitsotakis’s conservative government has stepped up moves to diversify the economy and attract foreign investment and high-tech companies to the country which emerged from a decade-long financial crisis in 2018.
- Google’s investment comes two years after Microsoft Corp. decided to build a data centre hub in the country. Amazon Inc’s cloud computing division also opened its first office in Greece last year to support what it said was a growing number of companies and public sector agencies using its cloud services.
SBI launches ‘Gram Seva Program’ across six states of India
State Bank of India launched the SBI Foundation’s Gram Seva Program across six states of India. On Gandhi Jayanti this year, the State Bank of India announced that it will adopt 30 remote villages across India under the 4th phase of the ‘SBI Gram Seva’ Program. The bank will adopt remote villages across Aspirational Districts in Haryana, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, and West Bengal.
- The Gram Seva Program was launched under the Corporate Social Responsibility of the bank.
- The program emphasizes a comprehensive development of villages by active intervention in areas like education, healthcare, livelihoods, and infrastructure.
- Till now, the program has adopted 100 villages across 16 states in 3 phases.
- Gram Seva is one of the flagship CSR programs of the SBI foundation.
- The program’s outreach will expand to a total of 130 villages, of which 75 villages are from Aspirational Districts.
- The SBI foundation is actively working on areas like rural development, healthcare, education, Sustainability, environment, livelihood, skill development, etc.
- SBI CSE schemes are widespread across 28 states and UTs of the nation.
Election Commission launched Matadata Junction awareness program
The Chief Election Commissioner Shri Rajiv Kumar launched a yearlong Voter Awareness Program ‘Matdata Junction’ during an event organized at Akashvani Rang Bhavan. The launch event was also facilitated by Election Commissioner Shri Anup Chandra Pandey. The Matdata Junction is a 52-episode radio series produced by the election commission of India, in collaboration with All India Radio.
- Matdata Junction is produced in collaboration with All India Radio.
- The Matdata Junction aims to connect with the voters across the country with the help of radio.
- The programs will be a combination of information and entertainment which will help to address the lack of concern of urban people and inform the audience.
- The information will be related to the election process in the conduct of free, fair, transparent, inducement-free, accessible, and inclusive elections.
- Shri Pankaj Tripathi would be the National Icon for the Election Commission of India.
- The 52 episodes will cover various aspects of the election and related processes from voters’ perspectives.
- The programs will be for 15 minutes and will be broadcast every Friday during the 7-9 PM slot on All India Radio.
- The All-India Radio Network covers 25 FM stations, 4 FM Gold stations, 42 Vividh Bharati stations, and 159 Primary Channels/local radio stations in 23 languages.
Actor Pankaj Tripathi declared ‘National Icon’ by Election Commission of India
- Election Commission of India (ECI) in creating awareness amongst voters, Actor Pankaj Tripathi has been declared as the ‘National Icon’ of ECI.
- The actor was chosen for the honour by Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Rajiv Kumar for keeping in view his commitment to the cause and wide appeal across the country.
- An event on the ‘Voter Awareness Program’, CEC Rajiv Kumar complimented ECI state icon, Pankaj Tripathi, for his association with ECI in creating voting awareness across citizens, and henceforth declared him as the National Icon for ECI.
Aditya Birla Health Insurance launches Activ Fit for young & healthy adults
Aditya Birla Health Insurance Co. Limited (ABHICL), the health insurance subsidiary of Aditya Birla Capital Limited (ABCL), has launched ‘Active Fit’ which is a comprehensive health insurance plan for young and healthy adults. It is first-of-its-kind in the industry.
Historic MoU Signed to launch India’s Rupay debit card in Oman
ational Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Central Financial institution Of Oman signed a historic MoU to launch the Rupay debit card in Oman, paving the best way for a brand new period of monetary connectivity.
Majestic Hindu temple opens in Dubai
A majestic new Hindu Temple has been inaugurated in Jebel Ali Village, Dubai. The temple combines both Indian and Arabic architectural designs and gives a powerful message of tolerance, peace, and harmony. The temple is located in a neighborhood that is generally known as the ‘Worship Village’ of UAE.
Amit Shah Announces ST Status For Paharis In Jammu And Kashmir
Union Home Minister Amit Shah announces that Pahari Community in Jammu and Kashmir will get a Scheduled Tribe (ST) status and political reservations before Assembly elections. The abolition of Articles 370 and 35A in August 2019 paved the way for providing reservations to deprived sections of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The ST quota in J&K carries 7% spots in government jobs and educational institutions.
- The Gujjars and Bakerwals community were getting ST benefits since 1991.
- The Paharis were given a 4 percent quota in the OBC category from January 2020.
- The Centre formed the Justice Sharma Commission in March 2020, however it seemed to upset the Gujjars and Bakerwals.
- There were also protests performed by the Gujjars and Bakerwals in Jammu and Kashmir regarding the implementation of Status to Paharis.
- 40 percent of the population in the border districts are Gujjar and Bakerwal, and Paharia lives in a few numbers.
- PM Narendra Modi has promised to invest Rs 56,000 crore for the overall development.