International Students Day
- International Students’ Day is observed annually on November 17
- In 1939, in the Nazi-occupied Czech Republic, more than 1,200 students were arrested and jailed for a demonstration marking the anniversary of the formation of the Czechoslovak state, and then three years later, in 1942, an international student meeting commemorated those who died fighting Nazism and is observed annually on November 17 in London.
World Philosophy Day 2022
- World Philosophy Day is commemorated on November 17.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) proclaimed it an International day in 2005.
- The 2022 World Philosophy Day theme is ‘The Human of the Future. UNESCO and Le Fresnoy – National Studio of Contemporary Arts has organized a symposium and exhibition.
India Set to Become World’s Most Populous Country in 2023
India is projected to surpass China as the world’s most populous country in 2023, with each counting more than 1.4 billion residents this year, according to the 27th edition of the United Nations’ World Population Prospects, 2022.
NCW launches the fourth phase of Digital Shakti for women
- The National Commission for Women (NCW) launched the fourth phase of the Digital Shakti Campaign, a pan-India project on digitally empowering and skilling women and girls in cyberspace.
- In line with its commitment to creating safe spaces for women and girls online, Digital Shakti 4.0 is focused on making women digitally skilled and aware to stand up against any illegal/inappropriate activity online.
- The NCW launched it in collaboration with Cyber Peace Foundation and Meta.
Paris Olympics 2024
- The Phrygian cap, the symbol of the French republic but wearing sneakers as a nod to the present, was unveiled as the mascot for the 2024 Paris Olympics.
- The Olympic Phryge ((pronounced fri-jee-uhs) is a bit smaller, and the Paralympic Phryge is a bit slimmer and has a blade on his right leg because it is a Phyrge with an impairment.
National Commission for Women Launched Digital Shakti 4.0
- Digital Shakti started in June 2018 to help women across the nation to raise the awareness level on the digital front, to build resilience, and fight cybercrime in the most effective ways.
- Digital Shakti 4.0 is focused on making women digitally skilled and aware to stand up against any illegal/inappropriate activity online.
- NCW launched the campaign in collaboration with CyberPeace Foundation and Meta.
- Through this project, over 3 Lakh women across India have been made aware of cyber safety tips and tricks.
- It is helping women in reporting & redressal mechanisms, data privacy and usage of technology for their benefits.
3 Indian Cities Among Largest Data Centre Markets in Asia-Pacific
Knight Frank, Indian cities, namely – Hyderabad, Chennai and New Delhi, have emerged as three of the top data centre markets in the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region.
India ranks 8th on list for climate protection
- The performance of the European Union and 59 countries in protecting the climate is being followed by 3 non-governmental organizations, German watch, New Climate Institute and Climate Action Network.
- The organizations have released their Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) rankings for the year 2023.
- In this ranking, India has moved up by 2 places to the 8th position.
- The top 3 spots in the rankings have been left vacant as no country performs well in all categories, the bodies said.
- Accordingly, 4th place is Denmark, 5th place is Sweden, China is 51st place, America is 52nd place and Russia is 59th place.
Tamil Nadu Govt V.O.C Award
- Tiruvarur Ennarasu Karunesan has been awarded V.O.C Award by the Tamil Nadu Government for the development of various ports including Chennai Kamarajar and Kattupalli.
- For 33 years he has introduced new technologies in the port and warehousing industry and has raised export and import to world-class ports like Mumbai, Mundra, and Katupalli.
PFRDA named Suraj Bhan as chairman of NPS Trust
- Pension Fund Regulatory & Development Authority has appointed Suraj Bhan as the chairman of the National Pension System Trust (NPS Trust), responsible for managing funds under the National Pension System (NPS).
- Bhan has been a Trustee on the Board of NPS Trust since 2018.
- He joined the Indian Economic Service in 1983 and retired as Director General of the Labour Bureau, Chandigarh, in January 2018.