The 36th National Games 2022 will be officially inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Narendra Modi stadium in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. He will also speak to the athletes present during the event.
Venue and Schedule
- The 36th National Games 2022 will be held in six cities of Gujarat including Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, and Bhavnagar.
- The track cycling competition, however, will apparently take place in Delhi.
- The largest National Games ever will take place with about 15,000 athletes, coaches, and officials competing in 36 sports disciplines from throughout the nation.
- The 36th National Games 2022 will take place from September 29 till October 12, 2022.
All Important Updates
- The national games are being held in Gujarat for the very first time.
- The 36th National Games 2022 will feature a total of 36 sports competitions, with about 7000 competitors competing from 28 states and 8 union territories.
- Kerala hosted the last National Games in 2015.
- The National Games were supposed to take place in Goa in 2016, but they kept getting postponed because of logistical problems.
- This year’s National Games, which began today, will formally end on October 10.
Live Broadcast and Opening Ceremony
- The ceremony of 36th National Games 2022 will start at 4:30 pm, and prominent athletes like Olympic gold winner Neeraj Chopra and badminton megastar PV Sindhu will attend the opening ceremony.
- You can watch both the National Games 2022 opening ceremony and the competition itself live on DD Sports and Prasar Bharati’s YouTube account.
- Many games will begin from Friday, September 30.
- In addition to many others, the gaming activities include Kabaddi, Boxing, Cycling, Football, Golf, Hockey, Kho Kho, Shooting, Squash, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Wrestling, Weightlifting, and Yogasana.
- Teams from each of India’s 28 states and eight union territories, as well as one from the Indian Armed Forces, are anticipated.
- Ladakh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, and Daman and Diu, three recent union territories, are anticipated to participate in their first National Games.
- A team representing Bodoland may also compete in these games because the Bodoland Territorial Region was provided with the opportunity to compete in national level sporting events under the provisions of a contract signed in January 2020.
36th National Games 2022: States
Following is the list of States participating in the 36th National Games 2022:
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Andhra Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal
History of National Games
- The first National Games were held prior to independence, organised by the All India Olympic Committee in 1924 at Lahore.
- Then, it was referred to as the “All India Olympic Games.”
- Since 1924, there have been four iterations of the Games, with the first three taking place in Lahore and the fourth in Allahabad.
- The tournament was renamed the “National Games” in 1940, and Mumbai served as the host city.
- The inaugural National Games after independence were held in Lucknow in 1948.
- After the Games’ initial surge in popularity, there appeared to be a decline, which prompted IOA’s intervention in 1985.
- To attract more viewers, they chose to restructure the Games along Olympic principles. More than 5000 athletes have competed in the Games since then.
Indian Olympics Association
The Indian Olympics Association is responsible for choosing the athletes to represent India at the Olympics games, Asian Games and other international sports events.
It is also responsible for managing the teams representing these events.
It acts as the Indian Commonwealth Games Association, which is responsible for choosing athletes representing India at the quadrennial event of the Commonwealth Games.