Important Topics in the Indian Economy
- Basic Concepts
- Macroeconomic Concepts
- Microeconomic Concepts
- Economic Measurements
- National Income & Its Calculation
- Economic Growth and Development
- Money & Banking
- Money Function & Classification
- Financial Markets & Its Instruments
- Banking Structure in India
- Public Finance in India
- Fiscal Policy
- Centre-state Distribution
- Tax Structure in India
- Meaning, Objective & History
- Planning Institutions
- Five Year Plans in India
- NITI Aayog
- Open Economy
- Foreign Trade Concepts
- International Organizations
- Trade Agreements
- Recent Development
- Economic Sectors
- Employment and Unemployment
- Government Schemes and Programmes
Preparation Strategy & Booklist to cover Economy Syllabus For UPSC
The economy of any country serves as the foundation for its growth and development. As a potential member of the bureaucracy, it is important to have a sound understanding of how the Indian economy works.
- Start with NCERTs
It is important to have a strong understanding of key concepts of the economy. NCERTs are the best resource to cater to that need. Moreover, questions are asked directly from the NCERT. Hence, it is important to read them carefully.
- Read IGNOU/NIOS notes
After you’re done with NCERTs, supplement your knowledge by reading IGNOU/NIOS notes. You do not need to read them cover to cover, just read through the relevant chapters that are a part of the UPSC economy syllabus.
- Cover Previous Year Questions
Next, it is important to glance through the previous year’s question papers to get a clear understanding of the type of questions that are asked in the exam.
- Cover Basic Books
Next, you need to cover basic books like Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh and Indian Economy Key Concepts by Shankar Ganesh. These books are specifically written for CSE preparation, hence are very helpful in covering the entire syllabus very strategically.
- Current Affairs
Current affairs play a very important role, especially in the economic subject as it covers the recent developments in the Indian economy. Read “Economic Times” “Business Standard” and “The Hindu” to cover the current affairs of the economy portion for UPSC preparation.
- Solve Mock Test
Mock tests are an extremely important element of UPSC preparation. Solve as many mock tests as you can, analyze your mistakes, amend them and repeat this process.
Booklist for Preparing UPSC Economics Syllabus for Civil Services Exam
- NCERTs (Class X, XI, and XII)
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh.
- Indian Economy: Performance and Policies by Uma Kapila.
- Indian Economy by Mishra and Puri.
- Indian Economy by Datt and Sundaram.
- Indian Economy by Sanjiv Varma.
- Indian Economy Key Concepts by Sankarganesh Karuppiah
- NIOS Notes and IGNOU notes