Vigilance Awareness Week
- Vigilance Awareness Week is observed every year during the week in which the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (31st October) falls.
- This year Vigilance Awareness Week is being observed from 31st October 2022 to 6th November 2022 with the theme “Corruption-free India for a developed Nation”.
World Cities Day
- World Cities Day brings Urban October to an end on 31st October each year and was first celebrated in 2014.
- As with World Habitat Day, a global observance is held in a different city each year and the day focuses on a specific theme.
- A different city hosts the event each year. This year’s global observance is planned in Shanghai, China under the theme “Act Local to Go Global.”
World Savings Day
- World Thrift Day is celebrated every year on October 31, across the world.
- World Thrift Day, also often called World Savings Day.
- The theme of World Thrift Day is “Saving prepares you for the future”.
- The day is significant as it is an occasion to generate awareness about the concept of saving money in a bank (so as to enrich the money supply in the country) instead of keeping it locked away at home.
RBI Revokes Authorisation Certificate of Chennai-Based GI Technology
The Reserve Bank has revoked the certificate of authorisation of Chennai-based GI Technology Private Limited over governance concerns in the company. The company is in the business of issuance and operation of prepaid payment instruments.
Executive Chairman of Samsung Electronic: Jay Y Lee
Samsung Electronics Co. officially appointed Lee Jae-yong as its executive chairman, formalizing the all-encompassing leadership role he has long played at South Korea’s largest business.
Mawmluh Cave in Meghalaya’s first Indian Geoheritage Site
- The International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS), one of the largest scientific organisations of UNESCO, has recognised the Mawmluh Cave, located in the East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya, as one of the first 100 IUGS geological heritage sites.
- The full list will be presented at the IUGS’s 60th-anniversary event, which will take place in Zumaia, Spain.
Akanksha Vyavahare creates three new national records at the Khelo India weightlifting meet
Akanksha Vyavahare, who is a Maharashtra-based weightlifter has created three new national records in the 40kg weight category at the Khelo India National Ranking Women’s Weightlifting Tournament.
- Akanksha has improved her existing snatch national record by lifting 60kg.
- She recorded 71 kg in the clean jerk and the process registered a total lift of 131 kg.
- The opening ceremony of the Khelo India National Ranking Women’s Weightlifting Tournament was felicitated by Tokyo Olympics Silver medalist Mirabai Chanu.
- Mirabai Chanu won the gold medal in Phase 1 of the Khelo India Weightlifting Tournament in Himachal Pradesh.
Rajnath Singh virtually launches two helipads in Ladakh
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched 75 new projects including the virtual launch of two helipads, one in Hanle and one in Thakung in Eastern Ladakh.
- These helipads are aimed to enhance the operational capabilities of the Indian Air Force in the region.
- Several other key infra projects were also unveiled which include bridges, roads, and helipads projects in Jammu and Kashmir border areas.
- In the event, there was an onsite unveiling of 120-meter-long ‘Class-70 Shyok Setu’ on the DS-DBO road at an altitude of 14,000 feet and a virtual inauguration of two helipads.
- The 75 projects implemented by the Border Roads Organization (BRO) included 45 bridges, 27 roads, two helipads, and one ‘Carbon Neutral Habitat’.
- Twenty of the projects are in Jammu and Kashmir, 18 in Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh, five in Uttrakhand, and 14 in other border states of Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, and Rajasthan.
- The BRO’s first Carbon Neutral Habitat at a height of 19,000 feet for its personnel was also inaugurated at Hanle.
BPCL recognised as the country’s most sustainable oil & gas company
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL), ‘Maharatna’ and a Fortune Global 500 Company has once again achieved the No.1 rank in the Indian oil and gas sector for its sustainability performance in the 2022 edition of the S&P Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) Corporate Sustainability Assessment (CSA) rankings.
US New National Security Strategy Has Been Released
- The United States has launched its much anticipated National Security Strategy (NSS).
- All U.S. Presidents are mandated by the Goldwater-Nichols Department of Defense Reorganization Act of 1986 to bring out their NSS and to communicate the executive’s vision of national security to the legislative.