International Week of Deaf People 2022
International Week of the Deaf (IWD) is being observed from September 19 to 25 September 2022. The theme of the 2022 International Week of Deaf People is “Building Inclusive Communities for All”.
- Monday 19 September 2022: Sign Languages in Education
- Tuesday 20 September 2022: Sustainable economic opportunities for deaf people
- Wednesday 21 September 2022: Health for All
- Thursday 22 September 2022: Safeguarding deaf people in times of crisis
- Friday 23 September 2022: Sign Languages Unite Us!
- Saturday 24 September 2022: Intersectional Deaf Communities
- Sunday 25 September 2022: Deaf Leadership for Tomorrow
Queen Elizabeth II funeral, buried at Windsor Castle’s St. George’s Chapel
The royal family bid farewell to Britain’s longest-reigning monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, in a private ceremony at Windsor Castle. A smaller crowd bid Queen Elizabeth II farewell in St George’s Chapel after the official burial earlier that day at London’s Westminster Abbey, where world leaders, members of European royal families, and the general public had assembled.
Maharashtra’s Daulatabad Fort to be renamed as ‘Devgiri’ Fort
Maharashtra Tourism Ministry has decided to rename the Daulatabad fort to Devgiri which is located near Aurangabad. This decision comes after Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray. It is a national heritage monument, which is maintained by the Archeological Survey of India (ASI). Previously Maharashtra’s former Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray was renamed Aurangabad Sambhajinagar.
The decision of renaming Daulatabad fort to Devgiri came after Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray renamed Aurangabad to Sambhajinagar after a long demand from Sena Foot Soldiers.
Saffron from Kashmir GI-tagged
Farmers in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir are now able to sell their products on domestic and international marketplaces thanks to the GI labelling of Kashmiri saffron.
- The Director of Agriculture spoke at the event and expressed his satisfaction with IIKSTC’s performance during the previous two years.
- According to him, more than 3000 kg of fresh saffron flowers from which more than 300 kg of saffron was collected could be processed in the IIKSTC lab, which the Department has been using on a trial basis for the past two years.
- He claimed that the GI tagging and e-auctioning facilities have facilitated the export of our goods to places like Dubai and other nations.
India emerges as Sri Lanka’s largest bilateral lender overtaking China
India becomes the largest bilateral lender for Sri Lanka and overtakes China. In four months of 2022, India has provided a total of 968 million US Dollars in loans to Sri Lanka. China has been the largest bilateral lender to Sri Lanka for the past five years from 2017-2021.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has been the largest bilateral lender in the past five years.
- In 2021, a total of 610 million dollars were provided to Sri Lanka by the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- India has provided 4 billion dollars in food and financial assistance to Sri Lanka.
- India handed 21,000 tonnes of fertilizers to Sri Lanka on August 2022.
- Since the beginning of 2022, Sri Lanka is suffering from an economic crisis and the default of the government has made the situation worse.
- The Country is indebted to foreign loans and is battling severe food and fuel scarcity.
- The economic crisis has affected a large number of people in the country.
Manipur CM N. Biren Singh introduce web portal ‘CM Da Haisi’
The Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh at Imphal launched a web facility to gather complaints and concerns from the general public. The web portal is called “CM Da Haisi,” which translates to “to inform the CM,” and the public can express their complaints there by visiting www.cmdahaisi.mn.gov.in. The status of the complaints may also be checked by the complainants.
India’s 1st lithium-ion cell factory was inaugurated in Andhra Pradesh
The Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology, Rajeev Chandrasekhar has launched the pre-production run of India’s first lithium-ion cell manufacturing facility at Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
- The facility is located in one of the two Electronics Manufacturing Clusters set up in the temple town, by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2015.
- The installed capacity of the plant at present is 270 MWH and can produce 20,000 cells of 10Ah capacity daily. These cells are used in power banks and this capacity is around 60 per cent of India’s present requirement.
- Cells for other consumer electronics like mobile phones, hearable and wearable devices will also be produced.
- Currently, India imports complete requirements of lithium-ion cells primarily from China, South Korea, Vietnam, and Hong Kong.
Army chief General Manoj Pandey inaugurates Kargil International Marathon
Chief of Army Staff General Manoj Pandey has inaugurated Kargil International Marathon in Ladakh. The events are organized by the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC), Kargil, and Ladakh police in collaboration with Sarhad Pune. The events include runs of full length, Half, 10 km, and 5 km. In the International Marathon, over 2000 runners participated.
A&N becomes India’s first state/UT to achieve 100 percent coverage of precautionary dose
Andaman and Nicobar Islands became the first Indian state/UT to achieve 100% coverage of precautionary dose.
USAID and UNICEF launch series titled ‘Door Se Namaste’
The US Agency for International Development and UNICEF launched the Doordarshan and YouTube series titled “Door Se Namaste” at a function held in New Delhi.
A theatrical film on Duur Se Namaste was screened at the event, taking the audience through the main story, and showing how the messages of vaccine promotion and COVID-19 Appropriate Behaviour (CAB) have been interwoven in the entertainment education series.
About the Door Se Namaste series
- Door Se Namaste is a new television series which promotes healthy behaviours in a post-pandemic world. It is a fictional Hindi series developed in an entertainment education format highlighting the challenges of a post-pandemic world and promoting the adoption of healthy behaviour and practices.
- The programme will be telecast on every Sunday from 11 AM to 12 noon.
- The series is produced by National Film Award winner and Padmashee, Nil Madhav Panda’s production house, Elleeanora Images Pvt. Ltd.
Indian Navy conducts ENC Yachting Championship at Visakhapatnam
ENC Yachting Championship was conducted by INWTC, INS Circus under the aegis of HQENC at Vishakhapatnam. Prize distribution and closing ceremony were facilitated by the Chief Guest, Cmde Sumantra Haza.
Union Minister to lead a delegation to the US for Global Clean Energy Action Forum
Union Minister of State for the Ministry of Science and Technology and Minister of the state ministry of earth science, Jitendra Singh will lead the Joint Indian Ministerial official delegation of the Ministry of Power, New and Renewable Energy and Ministry of Science and Technology on a five-day visit to the USA to participate in the Global Clean Energy Action Forum.
- In order to attend the Global Clean Energy Action Forum, Indian officials from the Ministries of Power, New and Renewable Energy, and Science and Technology will travel to the United States for a five-day visit.
- The Union minister will meet with distinguished academics and members of the Indian diaspora while in the country.
- Speaking of this visit, Minister Singh said that he believes it is appropriate for all of us that at least 30 nations would be represented by their individual ministries as well as official delegations, CEOs, at what may be the first meeting of its kind in the global clean energy Action Forum.
- He also emphasised Prime Minister Modi’s commitment to India’s pledge at the COP26 meeting to reach the Net Zero goal by 2070.
- Minister Singh is of the opinion that for this to be accomplished, all relevant parties must be involved.
- Additionally, the minister Singh-led group will meet with academicians, distinguished scientists, and business leaders in Pittsburgh and Washington.