World Food Day 2022
- On October 16 in observance of the date, the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nations was established in 1945, World Food Day is marked.
- The main objectives are to combat world hunger and work toward its eradication.
- The theme for World Food Day 2022 is Leave NO ONE behind.
- “Safe food now for a healthy tomorrow” was the theme of World Food Day in 2021.
- The day is celebrated with an emphasis on the production and consumption of secure food that will, in the long run, benefit the population, the economy, and the environment.
Hyderabad bags World Green City Award 2022
- Hyderabad won the ‘World Green City Award” 2022 at the International Association of Horticulture Producers(AIPH) 2022, organized in Jeju, South Korea on October 14, 2022.
- The city also won another award in the category “Living Green for Economic Recovery and Inclusive Growth”.
- Hyderabad not only won the category award but also the overall ‘World Green City 2022’ award.
- It has been the best across all six categories.
- The city beats cities like Paris, Montreal, Fortaleza, Mexico City, and Bogota.
Xi set for the third term, China unveils new Leadership
- An week-long national congress will be opened by the Chinese President. The national congress convenes after a period of every five years to broadly outline the policy directions for the upcoming term.
- It is expected that China’s Communist Party will unveil the new leadership in upcoming years and President Xi Jinping will begin his third consequent term.
- The party’s 20th National Congress would also amend the constitution of the party and will choose the next Central Committee. The central committee is likely to have nearly 370 members.
- According to the usual practice of the party, the new 25-member Politburo and 7-member Politburo Standing Committee (PBSC) will be unveiled after the first sitting of the new Central Committee.
Elephant Deaths due to electrocution
- The electrocution of an elephant near the Namrup thermal plant, which is near the Dehing Patkai National Park, has brought forth the issue of low-hanging high-tension wires within and around wildlife habitats in Assam.
- The Dehing Patkai National park is divided between the Digboi and Dibrugarh forest divisions.
- A survey was conducted in the region and 25 points were identified where high-tension wires are hanging at dangerously low levels. It thus poses threat to the lives of elephants. Deaths associated with electrocution have become very frequent. In a period of one week, 12 deaths have occurred in the region.
- It is important to mitigate the deaths and identify the problem areas. The electric wires in elephant habitats should be insulated and strung high.
- The main causes of elephant deaths are:Electrocution, Train accidents, Poisoning
U.S.-India Trade policy Forum
- U.S.-India Trade Policy Forum (TPF) has been scheduled for November 8, 2022. It will take place in Washington DC.
- The 12th edition of TPF was held in New Delhi in November 2021. It was conducted after an interval of four years. The outcome of the event was the resumption of sales of Indian mangoes and pomegranate arils to the United States, and the imports of U.S. cherries to India.
- It is speculated that the gains of the forum are most likely to remain modest and gradual in the immediate future because of the structural differences in the economies and political considerations of the U.S. and India.
- India is expected to focus on the services sector, whereas the U.S. is likely to target goods market accessibility and the policy environment like data laws and India’s competition law.
6 varieties of Neelakurinji identified in Santhanpara region of Western Ghats
- Neelakurinji is blooming on the Kallippara hills at Santhanpara in the Idukki district of Kerala. The present bloom belongs to the gregarious flowering type.
- Gregarious flowering type refers to the massive flowering that occurs once.
- Neelakurinji spreads across nearly Two hundred acres of the Kallippara hills. This implies that it is the second biggest region in terms of the Neelakurinji population after the protected area of Munnar.
- It should also be noted that Eravikulam National park is the biggest sanctuary of Neelakurinji flowers
- Experts have identified a total of six varieties of Neelakurinji in the region. The identified species are:
- Strobilanthes kunthiana
- Strobilanthes anamallaica
- Strobilanthes heyneanus
- Strobilanthes pulnyensis
- Strobilanthes neoasper
Logistics Performance Index 2022
- Andhra Pradesh, Assam, and Gujarat are three of the 15 States and UTs that are categorised as achievers in the logistics index chart for 2022, according to a study released by the commerce and industry ministry.
- The other States listed in the ranking of the logistics performance index 2022 as rapid movers include Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Puducherry, Sikkim, and Tripura.
- Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Mizoram, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Ladakh, Nagaland, Jammu and Kashmir, and Arunachal Pradesh are among the 15 States and UTs rated in the aspirers category.
- Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Odisha, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, and Uttarakhand are among the other States and UTs in the achievers category.
Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil wins gold in World Championship
- Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil defeated Danillo Sollazo of Italy to win the gold medal match 17–13.
- Balasaheb Patil would have thought his Olympic goal was just a tiny bit closer when he glanced above one more at the Olympic city shooting range in Cairo.
Amit Shah inaugurates ‘Gatha Swaraj Ki’ gallery in Scindia Museum, Gwalior
Union Home Minister Amit Shah has inaugurated a gallery-cum-exhibition depicting the history of prominent Maratha commanders at the sprawling Jai Vilas Mahal of Scindias, the erstwhile rulers of Gwalior.
He inaugurated the ‘Gatha Swaraj ki-Maratha Gallery’ depicting the history of the main Maratha rulers including the Scindias, Gaikwads, Holkars, Nevalkars, Bhosales and the Pawar.
Haryana topped the Public Affairs Index 2022 in big states
- Haryana has bagged the top position in the category of big states in the Public Affairs Index-2022.
- The state has emerged at the forefront in social, economic and political justice themes.
- It has topped among the major states with a score of 0.6948, followed by Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Chhattisgarh, Punjab and Karnataka among many other states.
Pakistani Atrocities During 1971 as Genocide
Two American congressmen have introduced a resolution in the House of Representatives urging the Biden administration to recognise the Pakistan Army’s atrocities against ethnic minorities during the 1971 Liberation War of Bangladesh.