International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction 2022
- October 13 is designated as International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction with a focus on encouraging a global culture of risk awareness and catastrophe preparedness.
- The Theme is “Substantially increase the availability of and access to multi-hazard early warning systems and disaster risk information and assessments to people by 2030.”
Researchers create map of Milky Way’s graveyard of dead stars
Researchers have used complex models of the Milky Way galaxy to map out the locations of neutron stars and black holes that were created by long-dead stars.
- The researchers carefully recreated the full lifecycle of these ancient star corpses to construct the first detailed map of the “galactic underworld”.
- The compact remnants of dead stars show a fundamentally different distribution and structure to the visible galaxy.
- The Milky Way’s ‘galactic graveyard’ stretches three times the height of the galaxy itself, while one-third of the neutron stars and black holes have been flung out of the galaxy.
Cabinet approves new Scheme called PMDevINE
- The new Scheme, PM-DevINE, is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% Central funding and will be implemented by Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER).
- The objectives of PM-DevINE are to:
Fund infrastructure convergently, in the spirit of PM Gati Shakti Support social development projects based on the felt needs of the NER. Enable livelihood activities for youth and women. Fill the development gaps in various sectors.
The Chief Minister launched the ‘Kuti Kavalar’ Scheme
- Chief Minister M.K.Stalin launched the ‘Kuti Kavalar’ scheme through a video conference to create road safety awareness among the students.
- The main objective of the ‘Kuti Kavalar’ scheme is to teach young school children about road safety and make them aware of the importance of road safety.
South Indian Bank bagged World Book of Records for ‘101 Oonjals’
South Indian Bank bagged a world record for staging and swinging the highest 101. The South Indian Bank has organized an event ‘Onnichirikkam Oonjaladam’ and was accoladed with the World Book of Records award for ‘staging and swinging 101 Oonjals’.
53rd Capacity Building Programme in Field Administration Inaugurated
- 53rd Capacity Building Programme in the Field Administration for the Civil Servants of Bangladesh was inaugurated at National Centre for Good Governance (NCGC) at Mussoorie.
- This institute is the only institute that has trained 1,727 field-level officers of Bangladesh Civil Service such as Assistant Commissioners, SDMs, and Additional Deputy Commissioners.
Nitin Gadkari introduces Toyota pilot project on Flex-Fuel Strong Hybrid EV
Union Minister for Road, Transport & Highways, Nitin Gadkari has unveiled the Toyota Corolla Altis Flex-fuel car, which has been touted as first of its kind pilot project on Flexi-Fuel Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicles (FFV-SHEV) in India. This project intends to examine whether ethanol-powered flex-fuel vehicles can be viable in Indian conditions.
Himachal Pradesh govt starts new scheme “HIMCAD” to help farmers
- The state government of Himachal Pradesh has started a new scheme named ‘HIMCAD’, to provide irrigation facilities to farmers.
- Under the scheme, it is planned to provide command area development activities to 23,344 hectares of cultivable command area by March 2024, and the State Technical Advisory Committee has approved 379 minor irrigation schemes worth Rs 305.70 crore. About 80 per cent of the agricultural area of the state is rain-fed.
- In order to provide irrigation facilities to the farmers in the state, the government has implemented schemes like Flow Irrigation Scheme, Efficient Irrigation Scheme through Micro Irrigation, Jal Se Krishi Ka Bal, construction of Lift Irrigation Scheme and Borewell etc.
- Under the scheme, to provide Command Area Development activities to 23,344 hectares of Cultivable Command Area (CCA) by March 2024, the State Technical Advisory Committee has approved 379 completed Minor Irrigation Schemes worth Rs. 305.70 crores. The development work of these schemes is in various stages.
Indian Naval Ship Tarkash Reaches South Africa for IBSAMAR VII
- INS Tarkash reached Port Grequhrea which is also known as Port Elizabeth in South Africa.
- INS Tarkash will participate in the seventh edition of IBSAMAR, a joint multinational maritime exercise among Indian, Brazilian, and South African Navies.
- The harbor phase of IBSAMAR VII includes professional exchanges such as damage control and fire-fighting drill and interaction among special forces.
- The previous edition of IBSAMAR (VI) was conducted in Simons Town, South Africa.
- The Indian Navy is represented by the Teg Class guided missile frigate, INS Tarkash, a Chetak Helicopter, and the personnel from the Marine Commando Force (MARCOS).
- The joint maritime exercise will strengthen maritime security, joint operational training, sharing of best practices, and building interoperability to address common maritime threats.
Google launches Play Points Rewards Programme in India
- Google is set to launch Play Points, a global rewards Programme for users in India.
- Users will earn points when they purchase with Google Play, including in-app items, apps, games, and subscriptions. The reward program has four levels known as platinum, gold, silver, and bronze.
- The users can redeem the points awarded in the Play Store.
- Google has partnered with developers of popular apps and games across the world to help users to redeem their points on special in-app items.
- Google Play in partnership with more than 30 titles that include games from global studios like Miniclip, in India.