United Nations Day for South-South Cooperation
The United Nations Day for South-South Cooperation is observed annually on September 12 to highlight the importance of cooperation among people and countries in the global South. The day also aims at spreading awareness of the social, economic, and political developments made in the Southern region.
About South-South Cooperation
- Foster and strengthen the self-reliance of developing countries by enhancing their creative capacity to find solutions and technological capacities to their development problems and formulate the requisite strategies to address them;
- Promote and strengthen collective self-reliance among developing countries through the exchange of experiences leading to a greater awareness of common problems and wider access to available knowledge;
- Recognize and respond to the problems and requirements of the least developed countries, landlocked developing countries, small island developing States and the countries most seriously affected by, for example, natural disasters and other crises, and enable them to achieve a greater degree of participation in international economic activities.
National Police Women Day 2022
National Police Woman Day is celebrated each year on September 12. The day acknowledges and celebrates the contribution of female police officers who enforce law and order around the country. Today only roughly 10% of the police force in the United States is made up of women. National Police Woman Day hopes to rectify that by encouraging more women to join the service.
Residents Safety & Security portal Launched by Meghalaya CM
Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma launched an online portal of the Meghalaya Residents Safety and Security Act (MRSSA) in the presence of Home Minister Lakhmen Rymbui and other eminent officials in Shillong. The online portal will provide a digital platform to ensure the safety and security of the residents and act as a strong intelligence gathering system for authorities.
World Dairy Summit 2022 in Greater Noida
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the International Dairy Federation’s World Dairy Summit (IDF WDS) 2022 at the India Expo Center and Mart in Greater Noida. At the rally, the prime minister said the dairy sector’s potential would not only boost the rural economy but would also be an important source of livelihood for millions of people around the world.
The first patent for a 3D-printed rocket engine was Secured by Agnikul Cosmos
Agnikul Cosmos, one of India’s private space startups, has secured its first patent for the design and manufacturing of its 3D-printed rocket engine. The patent, which has been offered to the company under the Centre’s patent database, comes after the company opened doors to its first factory to 3D print rocket engines at scale. The patent has been rewarded to the company for its Agnilet rocket engine, which will power the company’s Agnibaan rocket that is scheduled to launch later this year.
Agnikul was founded in 2017 by Srinath Ravichandran, Moin SPM and SR Chakravarthy (professor of IIT-Madras). In December 2020, Agnikul signed an agreement with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) under the IN-SPACe initiative to have access to the space agency’s expertise and its facilities to build rocket engines.
Indian Army & India Air Force conduct joint exercise ‘Gagan Strike’
Indian Army’s Kharga Corps and the Indian Air Force have conducted a joint exercise ‘Gagan Strike’ in Punjab. The exercise, conducted over four days, comprised the deployment of attack helicopters as the aerial arm in support of ground forces carrying out drills, practising annihilation of enemy defences and deep penetration. It also showcased the precision firepower of the attack helicopters in coordination with ground forces’ mechanised columns.
India and Japan 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue
The second India-Japan 2+2 Foreign and Defence Ministerial Meeting was held in Tokyo on September 8, 2022, and was attended by the Indian Minister of Defence, Shri Rajnath Singh, the Indian Minister of External Affairs, Dr S. Jaishankar, the Japanese Ministers of Foreign Affairs, Mr HAYASHI Yoshimasa, and the Japanese Minister of Defense, Mr HAMADA Yasukazu.
- The Ministers reaffirmed their commitment to a rules-based international order that respects the sovereign and territorial integrity of nations and stressed the need for all nations to seek peaceful resolution of disputes in accordance with international law without resorting to threat or use of force or any attempt to unilaterally change the status quo.
- They acknowledged that global cooperation is needed more than ever to address security challenges that have become more acute.
- The Ministers emphasised their dedication to the achievement of a free and open Indo-Pacific region that is inclusive, resilient, based on the rule of law, and free from coercion.
- The Ministers additionally reaffirmed their ardent support for ASEAN’s centrality and unity as well as their complete support for the
- “The “ASEAN Outlook on the Indo-Pacific (AOIP)” defends values including the rule of law, inclusivity, freedom, and openness.
SETU programme introduced in the US
To connect entrepreneurs in India with US-based investors, the commerce and industry minister Piyush Goyal has created a programme called SETU (Supporting Entrepreneurs in Transformation and Upskilling). With SETU, mentors in the US who are eager to support entrepreneurship can connect with Indian firms that are just getting off the ground. The initiative was introduced during a discussion centred on particular concerns with India’s startup ecosystem.
North Korea passes a law authorising nuclear strikes as a form of defence
North Korea has approved a law that gives it the authority to launch a nuclear attack in advance. With the recently passed law, North Korea’s status as a nuclear weapons state has become irreversible. North Korea, this year tested a record number of weapons, including an intercontinental ballistic missile.
All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA), under the Ministry of Ayush, has launched the Ayurveda Day 2022 programme. AIIA has been chosen as the nodal agency for driving the Ministry of Ayush’s mandate for Ayurveda Day this year. Ayurveda Day curtain raiser for the six-week long programme (12th September-23rd October).
Centre-State Science Conclave
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the ‘Centre-State Science Conclave’, in Ahmedabad. Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the event via video conferencing, and highlighted the importance of ‘Sabka Prayas’ in the ‘Centre-State Science Conclave’. India is leading towards the fourth industrial revolution, and the role of India’s science and people related to this field is very important. Prime Minister Narendra Modi emphasized the basic solution, evolution, and innovation of science.
HPCL collaborates with the Indian Army for CSR Project
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL) and the Indian Army have collaborated for implementing a CSR project to coach and mentor less privileged girl students in Kargil. The project is known as ‘Kargil Ignited Minds’, and the project aims to prepare 50 girl students for various national-level engineering and medical entrance examinations.