World Hindi Day
It is celebrated on 10 January to commemorate the First World Hindi Conference.
- It is celebrated worldwide to promote the use of the Hindi language and raise awareness about it.
- This day was observed for the first time in 2006. However, the World Hindi Conference was held in 1975.
- This day is not to be confused with National Hindi Day, which is commemorated on September 14 annually.
- Theme 2023 – Hindi: Traditional Knowledge to Artificial Intelligence.
- The Union of India adopted Hindi as its official language in 1950. According to Article 343, the Constitution of India states that the official language of India shall be Hindi in Devanagari script.
Gujarat CM inaugurated International Kite Festival 2023
- Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel has inaugurated the International Kite Festival 2023 in Ahmedabad.
- It will be held from the 8th to the 14th of January, 2023.
- The theme of this festival will be held with the theme of G20 – ‘One Earth, One Family, One Future’.
- The event is organized after a gap of two years due to the covid 19 pandemic.
- The delegates from G20 countries have been invited to the inauguration of the international kite festival 2023 to exchange their culture.
PM Modi launched Aspirational Block Programme
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Aspirational Block Programme (ABP) on the lines of a similar exercise aimed at developing backward districts.
- India is focusing on the four pillars of infrastructure, investment, innovation and inclusion to be a developed country.
- The ABP was launched during the 2nd National Conference of Chief Secretaries.
- Launching the Aspirational Block Programme, Prime Minister underscored the success achieved in various Aspirational Districts in the country under the Aspirational District Programme.
BIS launched a portal for mapping industrial units and laboratories
- Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal emphasized the importance of quality in India’s development at the 76th Foundation Day of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) in New Delhi.
- A portal for mapping Industrial Units and Laboratories was launched on occasion.
- This is a centralized platform for information on industrial units and laboratories across the country.
Talcher Fertiliser plant in Odisha will be ready by October 2024
- Union Health and Family Welfare and Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister Mansukh Mandaviya has informed that the country’s first-ever coal gasification-based Talcher Fertiliser plant in Odisha will be ready to be dedicated to the nation by October 2024.
- It will be the largest and first coal gasification plant in India. When operational, the plant will help us reduce our dependence on urea imports.
The Uttar Pradesh government launched the UP Global City campaign
- The Uttar Pradesh government has launched a 100-day “UP Global City” campaign in advance of the Global Investors Summit and G20 summit.
- Objective – To bring urban areas in the state up to global standards, with a focus on improving urban facilities, air quality, cleanliness, and beautification, as well as proper garbage disposal.
- The campaign will be implemented in all 762 urban bodies in the state.
Chetan Sharma reappointed as Chairman of BCCI’s selection committee
- Chetan Sharma has been reappointed as the Chairman of the Senior Men’s National Selection Committee.
- With Chetan Sharma being recommended for the position of chief selector, Shiv Sundar Das, Subroto Banerjee, Salil Ankola, and Sridharan Sharath will also be part of the panel.
Manpreet Monica Singh was sworn in as the First female Sikh judge in the US
- Indian-origin Manpreet Monica Singh has become the first female Sikh judge in the US.
- She was sworn in as a Harris County Civil Court judge at Law No. 4 in Texas.
- Singh’s father immigrated to the US in the early 1970s.
Aparna Sen received Lifetime Achievement Award at Jaipur Film Festival
- Veteran actor-director Aparna Sen has honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the opening ceremony of the 15th edition of the Jaipur International Film Festival (JIFF).
Khelo India National Women Kho Kho leagues set to take place in Punjab
- The Khelo India Senior Women National Kho Kho league is set to take place at Chandigarh University, Punjab from 10 January to 13 January 2023.
- The league is being organized by the Kho Kho Federation of India and will be held over three phases with full financial support from the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Anahat Singh won Girl’s U-15 squash title at British Junior Open Tournament
- Indian squash prodigy Anahat Singh has won the Girls Under-15 squash title at the most prestigious British Junior Open tournament in Birmingham (UK).
- The 14-year-old defeated Sohaila Hazem of Egypt, 3-1 in the final.