NRI (Non-Resident Indian) Day or Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
NRI or Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is observed every year on 9 January to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community towards the development of India. This day also commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to Mumbai on 9 January 1915.
Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti
He was the 10th and last of the personal Sikh Gurus known for his creation of Khalsa, the military brotherhood of the Sikhs. He was the son of the ninth Guru Tegh Bahadur.
1st meeting of the Financial Inclusion Working Group begins in Kolkata
- The first meeting of the working group on the G20 Financial Inclusion Indicator begins in Kolkata.
- Kolkata hosting the first Meeting of the Global Partnership for Financial Inclusion Working Group of G20 on Jan 9-11, 2023.
- All member countries, invited countries and organizations like World Bank, IMF, and the United Nations will participate in the meeting.
- The main session will begin on the 10th and the two-day session will discuss Global Partnership for Financial Inclusion.
Maharashtra to set up 122 new sports complexes in rural areas
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde has announced that 122 new sports complexes will soon be built in rural areas to reinforce the state’s status as a sporting powerhouse in the country.
- The state government will also provide our athletes with every possible facility and support so that they can excel not only at the national level but internationally too.
Bangalore, Delhi one of the Top-Performing Global Airports of 2022
- Tracking the performance of airports and airlines, Cirium issued a list of the top-performing global airports of 2022 in which Bangalore’s Kempegowda International Airport won the 2nd rank. In contrast, Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport acquired the 7th spot.
- While Kempegowda International Airport saw on-time departure for 84.08% of 201,897 flights, Delhi’s IGI witnessed 81.84% on-time departure for 411,205 flights.
Amit Shah inaugurated a 120-feet-tall polo statue in Manipur
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah has unveiled a 120-feet-tall statue of a polo player riding a pony at Marjing Polo Complex in Manipur’s Imphal East district.
- Northeastern state Manipur is considered the birthplace of polo sports. The state is the epicentre of the game.
Chhattisgarh celebrated the traditional ‘Cherchera’ festival
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel celebrates the traditional Cherchera festival at Dudhadhari Math in the state capital Raipur.
- The traditional Cherchera festival is celebrated on the full moon night of the ‘Paush’ Hindu calendar month in the happiness of taking the crops to their homes after cultivation.
Saiyam Mehra elected as Chairman of the Gem and Jewellery Domestic Council
- The All India Gem and Jewellery Domestic Council (GJC) has elected Saiyam Mehra as Chairman and Rajesh Rokde as Vice Chairman of the industry body for a period of two years (2023-24).
- GJC represents over 6,00,000 industry players including manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, distributors, laboratories, gemologists, designers and allied service providers.
Surinder Chawla appointed as new MD & CEO Paytm bank
- Veteran banker Surinder Chawla has been appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Paytm Payments Bank Limited (PPBL).
- The appointment has been approved by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for a period of three years.
- Paytm Payments Bank CEO Satish Kumar Gupta retired in October 2022.
Sania Mirza announced her retirement from Professional Tennis
- Indian Tennis Player Sania Mirza has announced her retirement from professional Tennis.
- The former doubles World No. 1 champion has announced that she will retire at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai in February.
- The 36-year-old will be playing in women’s doubles at the Australian Open in January alongside Kazakhstan’s Anna Danilina.
Kerala University won the ‘Overall Championship’ at a youth festival
- The University of Kerala bagged the ‘Overall Championship‘ at Tirupati’s 36th Inter University South Zone Youth Festival.
- Mahatma Gandhi University came as the runners-up.
- Noted Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi dancer Alekhya Punjala as the event’s chief guest.
- Championships were awarded in each of the five categories viz., music, dance, fine arts, theatre, and literary events, respectively won by MGU Kottayam, Sri Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit, Yogi Vemana University, University of Kerala (last two categories).
Former CJI Ranjan Gogoi released a book titled ‘Diary No.1’
- Former Chief Justice of India and member of the Rajya Sabha Ranjan Gogoi has released a book written by Assam CM ‘Chief Minister’s Diary No.1.
- It contains the account of events of the first year in the office of Assam Chief Minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma.
- Ranjan Gogoi is presently a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- He served as the 46th Chief Justice of India for 13 months from 2018 to 2019.