African National Congress Foundation Day
South African Native National Congress (SANNC) was founded on 8 January 1912 by John Langalibalele Dube in Bloemfontein. Behind this, the primary motive was to give voting rights to black and mixed-race Africans or to unite African people and spearhead the struggle for fundamental political, social, and economic change.
Bihar Government begins caste survey in State
- The Bihar government has begun caste surveys in different parts of the State.
- Chief Minister Nitish Kumar made it clear that only castes, not sub- castes along with the economic status of each family will be cataloged.
- The economic condition of each family will be duly mentioned in the survey.
- This caste survey will help in taking the required measures for the upliftment of the deprived sections.
- In the first phase, the number of all the families of the state will be counted and recorded.
- In the second phase of the survey to be held from April 1 to 30, data will be collected regarding the people living in the houses, their caste, and socio-economic status.
- The survey will end on 31 May 2023. About five lakh people have been employed to carry out this entire process.
- The state government will spend Rs 500 crore from its contingency fund for this exercise.
Military Tattoo & Tribal Dance Festival to be held in New Delhi
- A Military Tattoo and Tribal Dance Festival – Aadi Shaurya – Parv Parakram Ka will be held at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium in New Delhi on January 23 & 24, 2023.
- The two-day festival will showcase the prowess of the Armed Forces and the ethnic beauty of India’s tribal culture.
- As part of the Republic Day Celebrations 2023 and to mark the 126th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose (celebrated as Parakram Diwas), this festival will showcase the prowess of the Armed Forces and the ethnic beauty of India’s tribal culture.
- The festival is free to attend, with tickets available through bookmyshow.com.
Purushottam Rupala inaugurated 29 mobile veterinary units in Kerala
- Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Purushottam Rupala inaugurated 29 Mobile Veterinary Units (MVUs) and Centralised Call Center in Thiruvananthapuram Kerala.
- It is a major step for the benefit of the livestock farmers in Kerala. Kerala is deploying 50 MVUs in different districts.
- These MVUs will be operated through a centralized call centre with a uniform Helpline No. 1962.
- It will receive calls from livestock rearers/animal owners and Veterinarians will prioritize all cases on the basis of emergency nature and will transmit them to the nearest MVU for attending at the farmer’s doorstep.
- The call centre will act as a one-stop centre for the resolution of veterinary issues.
Odisha CM inaugurated the state-of-the-art hockey stadium in Rourkela
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has inaugurated the state-of-the-art hockey stadium in Rourkela.
- The stadium has been named after legendary freedom fighter Bhagwan Birsa Munda.
- The stadium has been built at a cost of 261 crore rupees in a record time of 15 months.
- Along with the stadium, he also inaugurated the Hockey World Cup village which will house the teams of the upcoming hockey World Cup.
- The Stadium, being billed as the World’s largest with a sitting capacity of twenty thousand spectators, will be one of the two venues where the upcoming hockey tournament will be played.
- The Hockey World Cup, being hosted by Odisha for the second time, will also be played in the iconic Kalinga Stadium in the capital Bhubaneswar.
- The prestigious Cup will be vied for by as many as 16 teams, including that of India in the tournament that begins on the 13th to 29th January.
RBI to issue green bonds in two tranches of Rs 8,000 crore each
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will issue Sovereign Green Bonds worth Rs 8,000 crore each in two tranches on January 25 and February 9.
- The proceeds will be deployed in public sector projects which help in reducing the carbon intensity of the economy.
- The RBI will sell two bonds maturing in 5 years and 10 years worth, Rs 4,000 crore each, at every auction. Sovereign green bonds will be issued through Uniform Price Auctions.
Kevin McCarthy was elected as the new speaker of the US House of Representatives
- Republican leader Kevin McCarthy has been elected as the Speaker of the US House of Representatives.
- He was serving as the House Minority Leader in the House.
- He was picked after days of Election Drama, making the election process for electing the Speaker as the longest in 160 years.
- 57-year-old McCarthy got 216 votes in the final tally, to be elected as Washington’s top legislator, who presides over House business and is second in line to the presidency.
Pranesh M became India’s 79th Grandmaster
- Tamilnadu’s M Pranesh (16) has clinched the title in the Rilton Cup, the first tournament of the FIDE Circuit, here to become India’s 79th chess Grandmaster.
- After beating GM Frode Olav Olsen Urkedal of Norway, Pranesh attained the required 2500 ELO ratings and won the Rilton Cup in the final round to claim the title.
- With this, he also becomes India’s first Grandmaster of year 2023.
- In December 2022, Koustav Chatterjee became India’s 78th Grandmaster.