Samsung Kies connects your smart phone to your PC, making it easier for you to create backups, restore the old backups, synchronize the data between the device and your computer, transfer files between your phone and the PC, find new applications for your smart phone, flash the latest firmware updates to your phone, and can do much more. To know more about Samsung Kies and the available versions of Kies, check my article about Backup and Restore data in Samsung phones using Kies. Here is a simple tutorial to upgrade the firmware of Samsung smart phones using Kies.
Download and Install Samsung Kies or Kies 3. Note that Kies and Kies 3 are not same. Kies supports feature phone and other older smart phones. Kies3 supports only the latest smart phones (Learn More). All the data stored in the phone will get erased during this upgrade/update process. So create a backup of your phone contents using Samsung Kies, before proceeding with the update process. Download Samsung Kies from the official Kies Download page. Select the appropriate download button to download Kies, that supports your mobile phone. Install the software when the download completes.
- A Windows PC with high speed internet connection.
- Genuine USB cable to connect your phone to your computer. I’m not responsible for any malfunctions caused by using a third-party USB cable.
- At least 75% of charge in your mobile phone.
- Make sure that you are not connecting a rooted phone. A rooted device may cause updates to fail, unstable mobile phone operation, and/or other problems.
- Do not open any menus by pressing any buttons.
- Do not connect other mobile devices (MP3 players, cameras, external hard drives etc.) to the PC.
- You cannot use the call function.
- Do not disconnect the cable until the update is complete.
Open the Samsung Kies software and connect your smart phone with an official Samsung USB cable. For demonstration, I’m connecting my Samsung Galaxy Grand Max to Samsung Kies 3 using a genuine USB cable. When connected, you will see your phone name under ‘Connected devices‘ list. Click the name of your phone. In the basic information tab, under Firmware information, you will see the current firmware details and the latest firmware version available in the server. If both the versions are same, your phone has the latest firmware installed already. Do not forgot to take a complete backup of your phone to avoid the loss of your valuable data. The tool also prompts you to take a backup before the update starts.
If you see any update under the firmware information, you can click Firmware Upgrade button. When you click it, you will see a pop-up window showing the details about the upgrade and the size of the update. Read that carefully and click Next to proceed with the update. Another pop-up window showing some caution statements will appear. Click Update in that to begin. Kies will now start downloading the latest firmware to your computer. Downloading time depends on the speed of your internet and the size of the update files. Your phone may not boot if you interrupt this process in the middle. Check the screenshot provided below for reference.
Once started, you may not need to do anything. Kies will automatically download the latest firmware, boots your phone in to download mode and installs the latest firmware in your phone. You will see download mode in your phone, once the tool started to install the updates. Do not click any button or disconnect the cable during this process. When everything is over, you will see a pop-up window with a success message. Click OK in that pop-up to finish this process. You phone will restart. Now disconnect the cable and reconnect it. Check the firmware information in Samsung Kies. Your phone has the latest firmware now.
- Backup and Restore data in Samsung Phones using Kies
- Perfectly starting Android development
- Smart Phone Flash Tool Tutorial (SPFT)
- Stock Recovery vs Custom Recovery