What is Android?
Android is a mobile operating System based on a Linux Kernel. This is a open source project from Google. Anyone can download the source and build OS for their phone. You can also become a Android developer, if you know Java. Most of the best smartphones, tablets are powered by android OS. If your phone is powered by MediaTek Processors, you may like Smart Phone Flash Tool Tutorial to flash your phone using a windows Computer, things to keep in mind before starting Android development.
What is Android Software Development?
Android Software development or Android App development is the process of building new application for the Android using the free Android SDK (Android Software Development Kit) provided by Google. It is a free Android App Development Software from Google which allows users to create new mobile Applications. Some other softwares are also available for building Android Applications.
What is Android Development?
Modifying the source code and building the OS of your taste is called Android Development. Lot of things are there, that has to be considered before starting the development process. Please be careful while involving in android development, as developing may void your phone’s warranty. If some thing goes wrong during the process you phone may not boot again. We call this condition as bricked. Development method may differ according the manufacturer of the phone and the processors powering the phone. Most of the China Android phones comes with MediaTek powered processors and those can be flashed with Smart Phone Flash Tool. It is the free phone flashing software from MediaTek Inc. Samsung phones and other branded mobiles are mostly powered by Qualcomm processors and the processors manufactured by their own. These Samsung Smartphones can be flashed using the tools like ODIN or can be flashed using Fastboot. File system may differ according to this configurations.
Things to be prepared before starting Android Development
- Your Phone must be rooted to get privileged access to the file system.
- Custom Recoveries like Clockworkmod (CWM), Team Win Recovery Project(TWRP) or any other modified versions of these recoveries must be installed in your phone.
- Confirm that USB Debugging mode is enabled on your phone. USB Debugging option location in settings may differ in various android versions.
- Ensure that the proper drivers for your phone are installed in your computer. For ADB driver Installation Check: Install ADB drivers for any android phone
- Ensure that the correct USB cable is used to connect your phone and computer.
- In some phones Some additional privilege is needed like boot loader should be unlocked in order to install your modified ROM.
- This is the most important point to remember: If you are rooting and unlocking the bootloader for development, your phone’s warranty will get void and if something goes wrong during the process I’m not responsible. This is just for the education purpose. Without knowing everything do not mess with the file system.
Android has several partitions in its file system like System, Recovery, Data, Boot, Preloader, cache, etc. These may change according to the Specification and the processor used. During Development only the system partition will be changed in most of the cases. Only in few cases even the other partitions may also needs to be changed.
Starting the Android Development
Before starting anything, a Nandroid backup should be made using any of the custom recoveries mentioned above. If anything goes wrong anywhere, you can bring your phone back to work using this backup through restore option available in the custom recovery. Connect your phone to the computer using the genuine data cable. Use ADB interface or the fastboot interface to check whether your device is connected or not. You can pull the system files using the adb interface if you are an expert and start developing. Or use the tools like dsixda’s Android Kitchen and for slight modifications to your firmware use the tools like Tickle my android.
This is just the brief guide to start android Development. A detailed instruction for everything involved in android development will be given in my future posts.
Rooting your phone and using custom Recoveries and ROMS have risks and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturers. In case of any mishap I am not responsible if you brick/ruin your phone in any way.
Other People are reading
- Things to be in Mind Before Starting Android Development
- Android Recovery Comparison
- Smart Phone Flash Tool Tutorial